Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I stood then hummed, I tapped on her drum

Most likely I'll be all over the place with this post. I have no idea whether it will be short or  long. We'll see. The best way to find out is to begin. So let's begin the beguine, as my friend Cole Porter might say if he was still alive and not a skeleton.

I searched half-heartedly for music as similar to that haunting Bavarian singing that begins perhaps my favorite Herzog film, Heart of Glass, but I came up flat. So I'm giving Mazzy Star's new one a try. Pretty good; sounds like Mazzy Star. Make of that what you will.

Man, The Shitter is something else! I can't remember the last time I visited the restroom at work without this guy coming in and blasting away in one of the stalls. In a way it's impressive that he can match my pisses with shits. You know in Jaws when Brody sees how enormous the shark is, way beyond expectations, and utters that famous line, "Here's looking at you, kid"? Well, that's kind of like what happened when it dawned on me that The Shitter is shitting way more than I thought. When I first wrote about him, I figured, and kind of half-jokingly, that this roly-poly motherfucker was taking maybe three or four dumps between 9 and 5. Now I'm convinced this toilet maven is shitting at least seven times a day, maybe more. I could go on about my mixed feelings about this guy - they range from compassion and awe all the way over to loathing and disgust - but I fear I'd carry on a bit too much and that would disturb me just as much as it would you.

So...

One of the aspects of the last season of The Walking Dead that I didn't like was The Governor story line. Maybe that's too strong a way to put it; let's say I was wary of it. At some point, he became a monster out of a nightmare. A frothing, raving, indestructible monster. And so over the top. I feared the show was on its way to losing its moral complexity in favor of cheap histrionics. It never quite got to that point - came very close - and I'm curious whether I'll have a more favorable opinion when I go back and watch the season on DVD. I think I will. Especially in light of this past week's episode.

When I heard The Governor was returning ( I knew he would, given that he hadn't been disposed of by the end of last season), I thought, "Well, there goes what was shaping up to be a good season". But you know what? I liked how they presented him this last episode. No longer (at least for now) the raving villain, more a beaten man emerging from the ashes to a new life. We'll see how it goes, but I have hope.

My sister just called. Was on the phone with her for a while. We hadn't talked since the end of August. Time flies, so it does. Good conversation but now it's getting late and I must end this post. There was more to say, but whatever. Maybe for another time.

Aloha!

No comments: