Sunday, November 10, 2013

Got a spot that gets me hot, but you ain't been to it, and I've got to get out of it before I get into it

Many people, or at least it seems that way, will have tomorrow off from work. Not me, I'll be making the trek in, but I have a hunch it will be a slow day; we'll probably leave early. That would be nice, don't ya think? The weekend makes its final exhale; it was a productive one.

How so? Tell us, tell us, tell us!

Why children, I have every intention to. But maybe not a complete recounting, which, if you knew what I'm omitting, would be fine by you. Trust me.

Last night, Spira and I hopped the T into Boston and saw Gravity in 3D. We had planned on going last weekend, but that was the day my stuff was stolen. I'm glad we went before it left the theaters because it is a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen. It's rare that I refer to anything as breathtaking, but I don't think I'd be out of line applying the word to this film. Everything was so seamless, vivid - I'm talkin' VIVID!

I also don't think I'd be out of line applying the word flawless to Gravity. If it has any flaws, they flew under my radar. All the elements, like players on a championship team, worked together at a high level. The acting was impressive (Sandra Bullock had no business winning an Oscar for that horrible, horrible movie The Blind Side, but she earned one with  her performance in Gravity. And Clooney was pitch-perfect); the soundtrack was very good - I took note on more than one occasion; hell, everything was very good.

If you want to see a true blockbuster, one that is visually stunning, action-packed (Right the fuck out of the gate! You've got maybe two or three minutes before things get heavy), and smart, see Gravity. Just do it, for my sake.

I'm so excited! In a few days, my new yoga mat will be arriving in the mail. After using Spira's heavy rubber mat, which was like driving a much nicer car than the one I have, I decided that it would be well worth it to invest in the best yoga mat I could find.

After some research, I arrived at the Manduka Black Mat Pro. It topped all the Best Yoga Mat lists I came across and every review I read were unanimous in their high praise. By almost every account, this was the Cadillac of yoga mats.

I drooled over the specs. The thing is heavy PVC, weighs about seven pounds. Lifetime warranty, but word is this mat doesn't wear down. Ever. It's twice as thick as most mats and, and.....oh, I'm boring the fuck out of you, but I'm drooling as I type. Anyway, the long and the short of it is I'm getting the best of the best yoga mats and I'm pretty damn excited. I fantasize about the ways it will improve and revivify my practice.

I went to my Mom's earlier today and helped her with some yard work and various other things. She treated me to lunch at Luigi's in Bedford (her favorite restaurant) and we talked about the holidays over our meals. We concluded that the yoga mat would be my Christmas gift from her. I haven't been this excited about a Christmas gift in a while. I will put it to good use. Thanks, Mom!


I've been meditating to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's Gamma wave CDs. What a trip! Anyway, time has run out with this post, so the Gamma waves will have to wait.

Ciao, friend and foe.

P.S.

So yesterday I was at a red light listening to Frank Zappa. A couple of my windows were open. In the lane to my right was a city public works truck. For some reason I envisioned the construction dude driving the truck saying something to the effect of "Nice! Zappa!". Why this came to mind I don't know. Zappa's kind of an acquired taste; he's not as accessible as the NFL. But guess what happened? As soon as Montana began, the guy yells over to me, "Fucking Frank Zappa! Nice! Haven't heard him in years." I replied with "Well, listen away now" as I turned up the volume. Anyway, I just wanted to document that somewhere, whether you find it as fascinating as I do.


No comments: