Sunday, November 24, 2013

All kneeled down before he who takes and defiles

I decided to give Netfllix another try after they offered me a free month. Back to streaming, no DVDs. Their movie selection isn't that hot without going the DVD route, but it's worth the eight bucks a month. So far I've watched:

Room 237. I'd wanted to see it for a while. A documentary about the various theories about the true, veiled meaning of The Shining. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but it was worth watching. Some of the theories stretched credulity gossamer thin and others only slightly less. What the documentary showed was how you can connect the dots with practically anything. Was The Shining Stanley Kubrick's telling of the Holocaust? Was he confessing to helping fake the Apollo moon landing? Or was he telling the tale of the plight of the Native Americans? I see why people are prone to looking for hidden meanings in Kubrick's work. 2001 was rife with it and in my opinion so was Eyes Wide Shut. The Shining, though? I'm not sure. I'll entertain pretty much any idea, but whatever Kubrick was going for in The Shining, I don't believe the theorists in Room 237 were on to it.

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. A riveting documentary that focuses on Polanski's statutory rape trial. Whether he drugged and raped a thirteen year old girl isn't certain, but by his own account they had intercourse. He likes them young. While I think having sex with underage people is a harmful, scarring practice, I believe Polanski was treated unjustly during the trial.

Tonight I may finally watch The Artist, a film I've been eager to see. Or maybe it will be Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice. Or something else. Maybe I'll just lie in bed and think about all the wrong you've done me.

Spira's been under the weather. Today, I stopped over and we had some ginger tea and watched a documentary about The Lord of The Rings and how it reflected the world Tolkien lived in. Funny, we were just sitting on the couch talking and Spira put this on without any discussion. One of the many reasons why I love her.

Been listening to The Big Three podcast a lot. Really puts Windy City Heat into perspective. Every episode has me laughing hard at some point. I've tried explaining the movie and the podcast to a few people and every time I've come up flat. If I meet someone as into all this as much or even half as much as I am, I'll jump for joy. Right into the air!

Bitterly cold today, perhaps more windy than cold, but either way it sucked being outside. I don't know how many more winters I've got in me. Hurry up, Hawaii!

Looking forward to a short week. Thanksgiving approaches and it will be the first one without my Dad. One of the last times I saw him. I don't expect the day to be a downer, though. First of all, there will be kids at play. And then there's Mimi, who is anything but a downer; this will be her first holiday with us. Also, let's not forget Spira and Missy D. I expect there will be moments of sadness, but those will just be passing clouds.

Alright, I'm off. Just in case you were wondering, I finished reading The Dog Stars and I give it a thumbs up. A good read, but didn't reach the heights of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which The Dog Stars seemed to be in awe of in tone and subject matter. Still, I recommend it.

Peace, Hobbits!

No comments: