Sunday, November 17, 2013

I put my feet up on the coffee table, I stay up late watching cable, I like old movies with Clark Gable, just like my dad did

Woke up from  a nightmare this morning. In it I was with a few friends outside somewhere and another friend drove by on his bike and almost hit one of us. That friend, outraged, threw a two-by-four at him. The biker came back our way ready to fight. He got off his bike and charged toward the wood thrower. I got in his way and tried to hold him off. His blood was up and he started punching me. That got me angry so I picked him up like a sack of flour and slammed him to the ground several times.

The situation was diffused and the biker left the scene. Soon after, a policeman came by to investigate. He had a Russian accent (oh, yeah, turns out we were in Russia) and was chiefly concerned with my involvement in the scuffle. He informed me that our biker friend was injured. I explained to the cop that I was trying to prevent a more serious fight but he wasn't having it. He said he was going to dig deeper into the matter. "I might be seeing you again", he told me.

Next thing I knew I was with my grandmother who insisted we go to the hospital to visit the biker. Hospitalized? I didn't think I hurt bad enough to require hospitalization. Damn! So to the hospital we went. As we approached the biker's room, my grandmother told me she was disappointed in me for losing my temper. I tried to explain to her that I was the good guy here. "I tried to stop a fight, not start one!" I exclaimed, but she didn't seem to believe me.

We got to the reception desk and were informed that my friend had died from his wounds. Oh, boy, not good. The situation was FUBAR all of a sudden and my heart sank with the knowledge that I was going to jail. In Russia. Fuck.

As panic swelled, I remembered - hoped, really - that this was a dream. I somehow removed myself from it and woke up. I seldom get nightmares. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten a gallon of chili before bed last night.

I hit the yoga mat with vigor this morning, partially in an attempt to exorcise the dream from my mind. Seemed to work. Speaking of yoga, my new Manduka mat arrived earlier in the week. Today was my third time using it. So far, it's living up to the hype. Still a tad slippery, but that will change once the mat gets worn in a bit. That will be the last mat I have, I think. Lifetime guaranty and from what I hear the mat is durable as fuck (which is to say it's quite durable).

Spent the day with Spira and Missy D yesterday. We went to the beach and had a long walk. Missy D had a blast chasing birds and exploring. Afterward, we went to the Greek Corner for dinner. We had to wait a bit, but once seated we were served right away, which was good because we were both famished. We shared a sampler plate with tzadiki, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, and feta. Yum. For my entree, I had the spinach pie plate. Double yum!

And then we went to Target and browsed. We bought matching t shirts emblazoned with the Millennium Falcon and scoped out DVDs (I picked up Dances With Wolves and The Shawshank Redemption for $10). We followed that up with a viewing of Jiro Dreams of Sushi back at her place. It was a spiritual experience, that documentary. Good times.

We talked of the future. Spira wants to move to Maui and asked if I would go with her. A big move, one to consider carefully, but why not? Down the pike; we'll see what happens.

This past week was great. Busy at work; everyone working in concert and pleasant. My mat arrived, which was, you know, kick ass. Fred had taken a few days off and did some work around the house. He installed a new thermostat, which we badly needed, and restored the kitchen floor to it's former glory. My bank card and new check books arrived the same day my replacement license did; that was a huge relief. And I've been eating super healthy. A lot of kale, garlic, quinoa, fruit, and other veggies. And a lot of meditating. Who knows, maybe I'll become a guru or some shit.

Today I'll relax. I'll read, maybe watch a Big Three podcast (Saw Windy City Heat during the week and its genius, not apparent at first, overtook me. No time to elaborate, but these guys are layered comedians).

Maybe I'll get some sushi later. Hmmm....

There you have it. Peace, hatchlings.

No comments: