Saturday, May 18, 2013

No, no, I don't believe this song

While practicing yoga this morning, the police appeared at our place. They were looking for Rick, our landlord. He hasn't been seen or heard from in days. They banged on the door. Nothing. I brought them down to the basement where they tried another door. Nothing. Back door. No response. I thought I might have Rick walking around upstairs last night, but I can't be sure. Might have been Fred below me. Hope Rick is ok, but it doesn't look good. If he doesn't show up by this afternoon, the police will be back to break open the door.

Watched the final episode of The Office yesterday. It was bittersweet. The show should have ended a few seasons back but I stuck with it. It was like watching a friend succumb to drug addiction. You don't want to see their decline but you still want to be supportive. So for the last few seasons of The Office, I stuck around. There were some worthwhile moments, but in the end the show became a caricature of its former self.. I could elaborate, but I just read a piece on Grantland that pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Bittersweet. I think part of the reason I stuck with the show was because it was a common thread between my father and me. During our weekly conversations, we'd talk about the most recent episode. I wish he got to see the show all the way to the end. Several times throughout the final episode, I teared up. They did a good job wrapping things up. I think my dad would have enjoyed it. When the show was at it's peak, it was one of the greatest. It's sad seeing it go. Impermanence. No more dad, no more The Office. This is life.

I'm getting melancholy. Time to end this.

No comments: