Monday, April 29, 2013

I'm in league with the queen of the meadow

I was reading an article about Mark Kozelek in which he stated his opinion in explicit terms that he thought the band Sigur Ros was no good. I think he questioned their honor as men and related the adverse reaction - sweats, tremors, and other disturbances within the human organism - their music provoked in him, physically speaking. But what about his everlasting soul? Did that, too, receive damaging blows? He didn't say. I don't know, I like Sigur Ros. They're like a dreamy transmission from some soft and remote place in the multiverse.

On Saturday, Spira and I took the train into Boston and visited the memorial for the victims of the bombings. We also visited each bomb site. It was a heavy experience. At the memorial, we stood before four crosses, each taped with a photograph of one of the victims. Fanning out before them rested cards, crucifixes, running shoes, candles, flowers (so many flowers), and banners from all over the world. The only sound to be heard was the click of pictures being taken. Heavy.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to send a platoon of Golden Retriever therapy dogs to the memorial should have a ball thrown in his or her honor. After hugging and petting several of them, Spira and I felt as tranquil as morning dew. There were no Golden Retrievers at the bomb sites, though. At each location we absorbed the reality, the presence, of that terrible event. People had lost their lives and limbs right where we stood. Sobering. How could anyone wish to cause such devastation? It is beyond me.

--

I think it's time to wrap this up so I can go see what's happening in the Bigfoot community. There's a long con going on involving a proven hoaxer (Georgia bigfoot in a freezer ring a bell?). There's a three percent chance this guy has a body (he alleges he shot one dead). We'll see. Still reading Wizard and Glass as part of my Dark Tower re-read and Humboldt's Gift. Next up will either be Beloved, which I'm very eager to read, or the Flashman novel I got in the mail a few weeks ago. But I want to read some Vonnegut. And then there's the naughty Fifty Shades of Grey; I'm definitely looking forward to that. I read the young adult version, but it was lacking something.

See you later, sweet peas

No comments: