Sunday, April 7, 2013

As I sit and close my eyes, there's peace in my mind, and I'm hoping that you'll find it too

Sunday morning. Brian Eno's Music For Airports gently shimmers, the sun has finally mated with the warmth, the house is tranquil. I appreciate days like this. I hesitate to say they're few and far between, but they certainly are diamonds in the rough. Or whatever. I just enjoy them. Allow me some enjoyment, won't you please?

Evangeline has been fitting in well. What a difference this shift in dynamics has already made. I came home from work the other day and she was sitting on the couch watching something on her laptop. As I put away my groceries, I figured out what it was.

"Are you watching Game of Thrones?"

"Yes! Are you a fan?"

This set off a two hour conversation that began with Game of Thrones, the books and the show, and undulated through alleys of literature (Evangeline was an English major in college), the paranormal (g-g-ghosts!!), and other things equally sexy.

So far, so good.

I haven't spoken with my mother since Easter. I keep coming close to writing her an email, but every time I beg off. I don't enjoy being at odds with her, particularly since this has already been a difficult time for our family, but something - my gut, perhaps - advises I wait, that some space between us will be beneficial. We'll see.

Roger Ebert's passing has saddened me. I've been going to him for film advice for as long as I can remember and his blog was one of the best I've ever read. He died with a smile on his face. He was ready. You are missed, Roger. The balcony is closed.

Ok, so Game of Thrones is fucking amazing. I'm talking the show. When it first aired, I enjoyed it, but I was too close to the books and found myself being a bit nit-pickey."What? King Robert is a stocky short man now? In the books he was a giant! Wait a minute - this never happened! Why is Ser Loras going down on Renly? Who's that person?"

There was nitpicking to be sure, but it wasn't much and, as I said, I enjoyed the show. Of course I did. Some of my favorite books of all time made into a series on HBO, the high watermark of quality television? Yes, please! So I dug the first season but only watched a few episodes of the second. My attention went to other shows like The Walking Dead (just watched the last episode) and Boardwalk Empire, and Breaking Bad. It wasn't until recently that my interest in Game of Thrones was revivified.

I suppose it had to do with the new season and the hype surrounding it, but it was Craig's enthusiasm for the show that revved the engine. So I purchased season one on DVD and came to the conclusion early on that the show was quite brilliant. Having some distance from the books enabled me to enjoy the show on its own merits. You've done it again, HBO. On to season 2.

Playing a lot of music lately and have been cycling through seven unfinished songs. They are as complete as they're going to be and only need lyrics to seal the deal. I'm getting there. I don't exercise my lyric-writing muscles as much and it would serve me well to take more time with them. That is what I'll do. Don't try to stop me, you rapscallions!

Other than that, it's been yoga and meditation. It's been Humboldt's Gift and Wizard and Glass. There has been good conversations, kinship. There hasn't been lovemaking, but the Universe is going to make that happen in the coming days because I told it to. Gently, of course, but it was a direct order. Send me a woman!

Hope you're feeling stout and creative and blissed out on the notion that you were never born and you will never die.

Peace always

No comments: