Sunday, October 28, 2012

We go together like a storm and rain

We await Sandy, the hurricane-superstorm-apocalyptic-juggernaut. Signs of its pending arrival are here like advance scouts from some devilish army. The wind is picking up, the rain dumps down and retreats. We could be in for it, besieged. I'm supposed to record at the courthouse in Cambridge in the morning, but I just spoke with my boss, Jeff, and he's not sure if that's going to happen. We're going to have to wait and see how severe the weather will be. One thing is certain: we're going to see a lot more of these frankenstorms.

Around eight o'clock this morning, I got a text from Spira, which I could barely read because the display on my phone is damaged. All I could make out was "Call me!". There didn't seem to be much more in the message, so I took it to be important. I called her back and she told me the word in the message I missed was "brunch" and that it would be in honor of her friend, Leah, who is moving to Nashville. I said I was going back to sleep and would call her when I woke up to let her know if I'd be going.

When I called her, they had finished eating and were going to take the dogs out for a walk. We worked it out that I'd pop in for a visit before they did. In the lobby, shortly after I arrived, everyone came down with their dogs and proceeded to head out the door. Because I was wearing shorts (I wasn't expecting to be outside for very long), I opted out of the walk, which I had thought was going to happen after I left. Spira explained that she was under the impression that I'd be accompanying them and then and said, "Well, we dressed appropriately" and led everyone out the door. My options at that point were to wait in the lobby, wait in my car, or join them on their walk, which, if going on past experience, was not going to be a very short one. Oh, and another option, which I eventually went with, was to leave.

I told Spira I was going to wait in my car,. She said, "ok", and continued on towards the park. I've known her a long time and I'm confident her outlook on the matter was "Come or don't come; I'm not going beg you". And I respect that outlook; if she felt my actions were the result of some adolescent need for attention, then I can see why she wouldn't want to have anything to do with it. I went to my car and thought about how to proceed. It didn't take long. I called Spira and told her I was leaving, that I had better things I could be doing with my time. "Ok, bye", was the gist of her reply.

As I drove away, I stewed a bit over the situation. I could have been at home, sipping coffee and working on music instead this bit of business. I wasn't expecting to be treated like royalty, but something more than indifference would have been nice. All the same, I'm over it and understand that the other side of the coin has its story to tell. I'm sure from their perspective, I'm a colossal jerk for up and leaving. I can accept that; I did what I felt was right for me. There will be other situations with more favorable outcomes.

Anyway, I don't intend to belabor the matter. I'm home and still have the bulk of the day at my disposal. The situation didn't work out for whatever reason. So be it. Let's watch some Boardwalk Empire!

No comments: