Sunday, July 29, 2012

I get all the news I need from the weather report

There's a theory that Kubrick's The Shining is really about writer's block. It's one of several: the one I cotton to the least has it that Kubrick, through symbolism and metaphor, was telling the story of the staged moon landing. Apparently, because of his stature as a film maker, Kubrick was  hired to take part in it. He wanted to expose this deception to the public but couldn't because he'd probably be killed or tortured or even teased if he did. The only way to do it was by disguising the tale with another. Hence, The Shining. I'm not a big fan of the theory, but it's intriguing.

Why did I just go down that road? Oh, because I was thinking about my own writer's block which, admittedly, has not compelled me to chase after anyone with an axe, but it has caused some frustration. I have a song that is nearly complete; everything is there except the lyrics. Most aspects of songwriting comes fairly easy, but I labor over lyrics. I need to get this song right. It's a paean to esoteric love. I want it to be pretty.

I was supposed to do some weeding for my grandmother today, but the plan was altered. On my way to her house, I discovered I had a new voicemail. It was my dad; he wanted to forestall me from heading to her house because she had been taken to the hospital for some esophagus issues the night before and was still there.

I called my father and was reassured that my grandmother was alright. It was too wet to weed, he told me, but he knew my grandmother had some other chores she wanted me to do. I won't bore you with what they were, but I did them and left. Missy and I went for a long walk and then we came back for a nap followed by some Kundalini yoga, which Missy did not take part in. I didn't make it through the entire session; it was my first time, don't think less of me.

So writer's block. I'm going to take another crack at writing at some point tonight, but in the meantime, I'm going to watch The Short Night Of Glass Dolls. Hear it's spooky. I'll meditate at some point and commingle with the etheric angels. I'll tell them you said hi.

No comments: