Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Though she was born a long, long, time ago, your mother should know

Captain Beefheart can invigorate the senses like no one's business! Uninspired? Are your wits dulled? Bored with the sameness of life? Play some Beefheart, man. You don't need to go off planet with some of his more challenging offerings. Nah, pop in Clear Spot or The Spotlight Kid and get inspired while you whip your fanny left and right to the jagged grooves like a drunken angel. That lineup was tight, son!



Visited with my parents after work yesterday. It went well and I left feeling reassured they were in good health. The day before, my sister had called, inquiring as to whether I had spoken to them recently. I told her I had talked to them about a week ago. She told me she had just gotten off the phone with my mother and the conversation didn't go well. My mother was uncharacteristically upset about her, and especially my father's, health. That's as much as I care to get into it, but my concerns were assuaged after our visit yesterday. As we age, this type of thing happens with greater frequency. Nothing stays the same. Ever. That is life.

I soaked a bag of black beans overnight and today I heated them up in water for about an hour. I had no idea if I was doing it correctly, but my intuition guided me true. The beans came out soft and lovely, like cherubs floating in my third eye. Remember kids, if anyone asks, my approach to black bean preparation is largely intuitive.

Man, sometimes, though very rarely, I miss having cable. It's the NBA playoffs; I should be watching. To make matters worse, it's the last year the Big Three will be playing together (It's possible things might work out that they're together next season, but it's more likely I'll decide The Rocky Horror Picture Show is not a ill-begotten, rancid piece of shit excuse for a movie). I'll figure something out.

Matt should be by soon to drop off his rent check. I'm really hoping he does. We've had to reschedule several times already. It's the first of the month, no more rescheduling. I'm sure he'll be by - I don't get the sense he's about to ditch us - but I'll feel better with rent money in my hand (or down my blouse, as it may happen). Rae came by last night to drop off her key, which was much appreciated because I was about to text her that I needed it to give to Matt. Equally appreciated is her intention to come by some night and take care of bills and any other loose ends.

I just picked up Stephen King's The Wind Through The Keyhole. Months ago, when I heard there was going to be another Dark Tower installment, I got so excited I may have smiled a tiny bit. No, to be sure, I was thrilled at the news, being a big Dark Tower nerd, and all. Time went by and I didn't hear anything. I forget how I found out, but it came to my attention the other day that the book had been out for a while. How did its publication slip by me? Who knows, but I determined quickly that I should do everything in my power, which is omniscient, some say, and purchase the book post haste. I will read deeply from it later tonight.

It's getting late and I need to attend to some things. Left out of this post was the account of my weekend, which, besides Spira's party, was not incredibly eventful. Perhaps, if the voices in my head decree it, I shall return to the subject in my next post.




No comments: