Friday, May 25, 2012

Something in your smile has left a light that has left a trace

An underlying current of tension has hummed through me all week. I've maintained my composure well enough, which is to say I haven't succumbed to the allure of drama. Still, it's been trying; I'm glad I'm on the precipice of a long weekend and the rest it promises. My comfort zone has been trodden upon and I'm adjusting, not always comfortably, but adjusting. I may just adjust myself out of my work and living conditions. Stay tuned.

What I've encountered, though uneasy, have been manageable lessons I hope to learn from. Every occasion I feel like I'm ready to snap is met with something that counteracts and soothes the situation. Deus Ex Machina. Meditation, yoga, and other spiritual pursuits have kept me steady and alert. When I feel like I have no fight left, something comes along, maybe a quote from a master, a smile, a kind word, and appeases my unrest. Look, life is a real bite in the ass sometimes, in case you haven't figured that out. You've got to arm yourself with tools to help you get through it. Like antidepressants and reality TV? No, not like those things. Not at all.

 I've had teachers. Here are some.



Earlier this evening, I had a couple of puffs, strapped on the iPod, grabbed the Patti Smith book I need to finish and give back to Jeff, and headed over to the park. A feeling of tranquility draped over me as I made my way. The day, which was predominantly gloomy, ended gloriously; the sun crept languidly towards setting and a layer of quiet rode the breeze, all was gentle.

Tranquility was soon replaced with a jolt of panic. Up ahead near the park a police officer was being feverishly pulled in my direction by a German Shepherd. Paranoid, my brain interpreted the scene erroneously and most certainly not in my favor. For a moment, maybe a couple of moments, it seemed certain that the cop was coming for me. I almost turned around and went back to the house, but I trudged on and continued toward the park.

The cop, as it happened, was just visiting someone. The dog was pulling feverishly on the leash because there were a couple of dogs nearby that it wanted to meet. That was all. Funny how things can happen. It really did seem like I was about to be accosted by the police, even though there was no conceivable reason for it to happen. Worked through the fear, I did. And I was rewarded.

At the park, I sat on a bench and read. About ten feet away, a couple shared a hammock while their dog, a handsome Boxer, sniffed around. I watched him contentedly. My mind was clear of thoughts and the residue of panic from earlier. He sauntered over to me and presented his head for petting and I obliged. In a reciprocating gesture, he gently climbed up the bench so that he was erect and eye level with me and licked my cheek. I thanked him and scratched his chest. That was it. He returned to his pack and lazed about on the grass.

After that, a family with two children, a boy and girl most likely three or four, walked by. The children looked anachronistic, like they were dressed by William Faulkner. They chased each other around trees and scampered across the lawn as their parents looked on placidly. Kids can be needy little assholes, but watching these two I thought of God.

When the sun began to set I walked up to the top of the hill the park rests on, sat in the lotus posture (still a bit uncomfortable, but I'm getting there) and meditated, chanting lightly. The park had emptied at that point, save a woman sitting on the grass fifteen feet away from. She had a sketch pad out and looked to be depicting the same scene I was meditating to.

Should I have approached her and made my case that she and I were about to be deeply entwined lovers? I don't know, readers, but my gut tells me that would have been a lousy tactic with a lousy outcome. No, romance was not in the script for that time and place.

Hold fast, readers! Romance and love making are in my near future, right around the bend. So close is that little cherub, Cupid! Perhaps, though, I am under some glamour, some cruel spell put upon me by a cruel sorcerer that makes me perceive falsely. It might be the case that nothing but solitude is in my future. Nothing but the persistent ache of feeling unloved, unwanted. A lonely wretch. A pariah to all women.

Oh, I don't really believe that (only sometimes when I let silly thoughts assert themselves). I do believe, however, that I'd like to play some music, meditate, read, that type of thing.

As you were, apostles.

7 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Hey Kevin, I have been meaning to talk to you a little bit about yoga. I am thinking about giving it a try. I need to do something. Stress and tension is doing a number on me.... remember that anxiety that we talked about months and months ago? Do you think yoga would help?

Kevin said...

Hey, Leigh, I strongly recommend giving yoga a try. I can tell you from personal experience that practicing it regularly has had a profound affect on me. What I like best about the practice is that it exercises the mind, body, and spirit. I still get stressed and worry about stuff sometimes but it's way more easy to deal with and doesn't last long. And I never even get a glimmer of anxiety. Hard to sum up yoga's benefits here, but I am at your disposal if you have questions, etc. I just had a great session this morning and I feel light as feather and clear-headed. Good luck with it, Leigh, and I hope whatever you attempt, you're able to have less anxiety and stress. Oh, I wonder if you've seen this video. Inspirational!
http://www.wimp.com/inspirationaltransformation/

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Thanks for the info Kevin. How did you get started in Yoga?

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

AWESOME LINK! AMAZING TRANSFORMATION!

Kevin said...

Yeah, truly inspiring. Talk about taking control of a situation!

I'd been interested in yoga for a few years before I actually tried it. I had a couple of friends who were into it. It wasn't until I really gave it a serious go that I understood what it's about.One thing I love about it is the expansiveness of it. I've been a serious practitioner for a few years now and I'm still learning new things. I can't tell you how many times I've come home after a shitty day and felt so much better after hitting the mat for an hour. I always feel so refreshed afterward, like I'd just took a dive into a mountain stream.
A big lesson for me was to learn to not see yoga as some kind of competition, like something to overcome. It's not like that at all. The more patient you are with yourself, the greater the reward. So, that's my first bit of advice: go at a pace that's comfortable for you.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Yeah, the video gave me the kick in the ass that I needed. I think I have been wallowing in my own self pity shit for too long. It has lead to depression and dangerously high blood pressure which has now put myself and my baby in danger. Time to take this by the horn just like that guy did. He fell on his face! I have no excuse and I am sending that guy some major good Karma! What an inspiration!

Good advice Kevin. I dont know if I am going about it in the right way and I know that I have to be careful because I am getting a good size baby belly on me now. I did about 10 minutes of Yoga from my P90X video. I didn't finish it. I felt like I needed to go slower. I am going to try to do a little more later. Pointers are always appreciated! :)

Kevin said...

Sounds like you've been going through a lot, Leigh, and I'm sorry to hear about the toll it's been taking. Years ago, when I was suffering through some pretty severe anxiety, I discovered that my problems with it were due in large part to not having a release valve that allowed me to vent. I had all this turbulent energy stored up and it had nowhere to go. So I finally burst. Over time, when I acquired some healthy coping tools, I learned how to vent. If I had been practicing yoga back then I'm confident I would have gotten through it quicker. Stick with it, Leigh, and remember there is no "right" way to practice yoga. Make it one area of your life that is free of pressure, stress, expectation, etc. Find what works for you and enjoy. Good luck and know that I'm at your disposal if you have any more questions.

Just read this. Maybe it will help.
http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-do-yoga-during-pregnancy_5699.bc