Monday, May 7, 2012

One day years ago in Montauk, lived a woman now a shadow, there she does wait for us in the ocean

 The weekend was a shimmer; it was over before I had a chance to enjoy it. Well, that's not exactly true - I did enjoy it as best I could - but it went by quickly, as they always do. Should have gone without saying, but I needed an introductory sentence and that's all I came up with. Moving on....

On Saturday, I went up to Rachael and Mike's new place in Peterborough, NH. And what a place. The house, situated on a brief hill with a nice view of Mt. Monadnock, was built with an artistic touch, equally spacious and cozy. I'm no feng shui maven but I'd be surprised if it didn't meet or surpass its requirements. Plenty of rooms and a sauna off the deck. Great stuff, especially considering their rent is cheaper than ours.

Scott and Esther came by and we had dinner and drank beer and wine. Hadn't seen them in a while. Later, we all ventured out to the sauna and sweat out our accrued sins in nourishing fashion. I got up the next morning and played piano while Rachael prepared breakfast and everyone else, including baby Eli, who somehow grew bigger since last I saw him, did their own thing. At one point, the neighbor's border collie, Cam, came by to hang out. We went out to the yard and I threw sticks for him. Fast friends, we were. He led me to the pen of sheep on the adjacent property and gave me a taste of his herding skills. Only a taste, though; the sheep were laying about and didn't need herding and anyway fetching sticks was Cam's top priority.

Despite the serenity of the location and the company I kept, I was cloaked in a thin layer of melancholy. I kept it in check, but it was ever-present. Could be I felt a touch lonely, who knows. Whatever its source, it hardly put a damper on the trip. I left midday on Sunday and listened to the new Rufus Wainwright for about half the trip before I grew tired of it (I had listened to it at least twice on the way up) and switched over to Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues and had a fine time with it.
--
Matt is moved in, but I haven't seen him yet. Our schedules are different, it seems. I thought I would have seen him on Saturday before I left, but when I left in the late afternoon, he still hadn't arrived. I was certain he was going to postpone moving in until Sunday, but later that night I got a text from saying he was all moved in. Must have been a quick move.

Had a dream last night that I saw through a window a Sasquatch climbing a foggy hill. I have no idea where I was, but I quickly notified the person I was with (no idea who) what I had seen. We put on our shoes and went after it. Not far up the hill we found a clear set of tracks in the mud. They were pristine; about sixteen inches long and several inches wide. The mid-tarsal break was in full evidence. Wonderful tracks! And then? I woke up and made breakfast. Riveting, I know.

Been watching The Walking Dead like crazy. Have I mentioned how awesome this show is? I never thought I was going to be this into it, which goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Oh, and the new Dark Tower book has been tough to put down, which is to say it's holding my interest.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to go take a shower. I will lather up with soap and....ah, you know the drill.

Peace, my brothers and sisters.




No comments: