Sunday, October 23, 2011

There's a terror in knowing what this world is about

I've liked this weekend. On Friday, I ended my work day in Lawrence and was able to take advantage of the Market Basket that was near by. I came home, practiced yoga, meditated, watched Andrei Rublev, and other food for the soul type of stuff.

Yesterday upon waking I walked to Davis Square with the intended purpose of visiting the Good Will store and take care of one or two other errands. I ran into Foley and Leesa on my way. They were were with a group about to head down to King Richard's Fair. They asked if I wanted to go, but I had to decline for various reasons. I was very close, however, to going; I love King Richard's Fair (Is there an "e" tacked on to the end of that? I don't know and I'm too lazy to take the few seconds to find out).

I had a vague hope I'd find Howard Zinn's People's History of The United States at Good Will, but I didn't. Instead, I picked up Larry McMurtry's Buffalo Girls. I'd been thinking about McMurtry lately and I'm convinced it was foreordained I found this book. Still, I debated whether to get it. I don't know why I did that. Anyway, I've been enjoying the book quite a bit and all it takes to inject me with joy is to see it resting on the furniture, waiting for me to curl up with it.

Last night, Craig and I went over to Union Square to watch Pat's band play at The Precinct. Good times. Kevin Smith was there, Alie was there, Mike Chiumento was there, I was there, Craig was there, Pat was there, I was there, Ali was there, Mike Chiumento was there, I was there, Kevin Smith was there. A sizable bunch, as you can see. Good times. Kevin and Ali gave me wet willies throughout the night, more than I've ever gotten. I had my revenge here and there, but I think they got the better of me.

Today, I went to my grandmother's house to attend the dual birthday party for my Aunt Maureen and my dad. Nice seeing everyone. After we ate, I spent the rest of my time there chasing around my niece Colleen and my nephew Patrick. At one point, I managed to corner Patrick. He turned coat without a second's thought. "No, Uncle Kevin, I'm on your team now!". I wanted to tell him no one liked or respected a Benedict Arnold, but I didn't want to expend the effort, knowing in my heart of hearts it's his nature to be cowardly and no amount of teaching by me or anyone else will be able to reduce or erase the verity of that fact.

I stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home and picked up a mushroom, cheese, and truffle sauce flatbread. The place was packed but I made it through with an ease I didn't expect.

Over the last several days, I've been re-watching the last season of Parks And Recreation on Netflix. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Ciao!

No comments: