Thursday, May 14, 2009

It's a rainy day, sunshine girl

The Celtics just dropped one to the Magic, forcing a game seven. Could it be any other way? This team likes to white knuckle it. In a way, I don't want them to move on; the Cavs loom large and will brutalize the patchwork Celtics. It's an unfortunate fact: Lebron and Co. are plowing through the playoffs like vengeful gods. Even with KG, we'd probably lose, but without him we'd get mauled like a rawhide bone in a room full of puppies. But, what if we faced the Cavs and...gulp!, actually beat them? Might go down as one of the most improbable victories in sports history. I would love it if that were to happen, but it probably won't. I'm still rooting for them to finish out this series, though it may mean watching them be swiftly and brutally dealt with by Lebron and Co. They're prickly, though, our Celtics, and will not go down without a fight.

The Bruins are still on. I haven't watched much of the game, despite the fact that it's game seven in the Garden. They're losing, but I like their chances. In the team's history, they've been down 3-1 in the playoffs 20 times and lost every game. I doubt Claude Julien brought that stat to the team's attention.

I think they can win for two reasons: One, they were down 3-1 last year to Montreal and brought it to a game 7. In Montreal. They're a much better team this year and are better equipped to win a game 7. And two, Claude Julien must have reminded them that another local sports team overcame a 3-1 deficit and went on to win the championship not so long ago.

Update: the game is tied at two apiece.

Watched the finale of Lost at Mara's last night. Brilliant! Far from jumping the shark, this show has evolved to a level of sophistication rarely seen on television. My sister informed me earlier tonight that it never cracks the top ten in the ratings. That is a travesty, but unsurprising. Another brilliant show, The Wire, wasn't terribly popular while it aired. Who has time for Lost or The Wire when there's CSI: Salt Lake City, CSI: Nashua, CSI: Bangor, and CSI: Detroit to watch.

Game is going into OT. Man, I wish I was there. I can still watch it, though, on television. Bet you didn't know that.

No comments: