Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bigger than big, that's how you start it

Went to Atwood's in Cambridge last night to celebrate Mara's birthday. Her friend Alister was playing and a few of her friends met up with us. Alister sounded great as usual, though he pledges allegiance to the flag of Arlo Guthrie, which, in my estimation, is not such a good thing. It's a branch of folk I generally don't gravitate to -- I prefer the English folk of the late sixties -- but, because he's a fine performer and mixes in some blues, my ears weren't offended.

We sat at the foot of the small stage, which made holding a conversation difficult. I caught a fragment of a conversation Mara was having with her friend, Tamara; something about Tamara wanting to start her own practice. When I inquired as to what type of practice, she said,"Lactation Consultant" It shouldn't surprise you to know I wasn't expecting that answer.

"I don't know what that is. I could hazard a guess, but I'm afraid I'd embarrass myself", I replied.

"I teach women how to breastfeed."

I nodded my head in approval and said "Ok". It was the best I could come up with; I was fairly tongue-tied. Questions like "Do women really need to be taught how to breastfeed and if so, wouldn't it only take about three minutes to do it?" and "Would insurance cover that?" went unasked not because I didn't care to know the answers, but because I didn't want her to think I was making light of her profession.

I told Foley and Luke Warm about it today. Foley asked if she had large breast.

"No."

"I wonder if that would matter to people."

I thought about and decided quickly that it wouldn't. I told Foley as much.

"It just seems to me like it would matter."

"I guess, if she was using her breasts as an illustrative tool, it would be more of a benefit if they were good-sized", I said.

"You should have volunteered to be her first client."

We laughed. "She was really sweet. If I had said that, even if she responded favorably, I don't think I could have lived with myself."

I left the bar around ten o'clock. Mara and her friends stayed behind. It was a decent night out, but I'd had enough. When I got home, I watched the rest of the Cavs/Magic game. It was good seeing the Magic defy the odds and oust the Cavs. Lebron was in a state of shock when the final whistle blew. Nothing is etched in stone, son.

Watched The Happening last night. Because it's getting late, I won't get into it here -- I will next post -- but what the fuck happened to you M. Night? Seriously.

No comments: