Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Green are your eyes, in the morning when you rise

I've been a  busy fella. Not going to stick around this post very long but wanted to touch base. Why? Well, who knows. Perhaps I have it in my mind that my readers are in a constant state of pining for  new material. And, because that is most assuredly an unassailable truth in the objective sense, I figure it is my duty as a pure-hearted, responsible scribe to alleviate any suffering my absence from this blog may cause.

Anyway

I was talking to a friend about the new study that recently came out that states smoking cigarettes is even worse for you than once thought. My friend asked me if I thought the study would inspire people to quit. My answer: probably not many.

Look, the smoker, most of the time, is going to sweep anything related to the habit's harmful effects right the fuck under a rug. Why? Because they are possessed by their addiction, shackled to it. They believe its lies even when the truth is directly in front of them, glaring like a thousand suns. You could tack a list of the multitudinous ways cigarettes will kill you to a smoker's chest and they will crumble it up and throw it away.

 "I'll quit someday", they may think.

Someday. It comes for those willing to exorcise the demon, to gather the will and act upon it, and for others it is merely a concept, intangible, at bay. Ah, the devilry of addiction.

I used to smoke, so I know what a bitch the addiction is. It offers nothing of value while making you think you can't live without it. I don't mean to be cynical, only calling it like I see it. The good news is there are fewer and fewer smokers these days. There's been such a reduction that I'm often surprised when I see someone light up. More people are wising up every day.

See, I'm not being cynical. Get off my back.

--
 
Alright, canaries, there is more - there always is- but other activities beckon and I must heed their call.

So long!


No comments: