Sunday, December 7, 2014

I fuck the music, I make it cum, I fuck the music with my serpent tongue

Last week started off with a bang, or more aptly put, a loss. On my way out the door Monday morning, I discovered my wallet wasn't in my bag. Or my room. Or my house. Or anywhere else. I had used it the day before when I had walked over to Yoshi's for some sushi. Gone.

I went to work but not before retracing my steps back to Yoshi's, scanning the ground for my wallet to no avail. My guess was that if it wasn't still at Yoshi's, where I intended to call when they opened a couple of hours later, my wallet had probably fallen out of my jacket pocket as I cut through the park on my way home. I came up dry.

I went to work and called Yoshi's around eleven. They didn't have my wallet. I left work and went home to conduct a thorough search of my house. If the wallet wasn't to be found, I needed to take swift action to cancel cards, etc. Again, I came up dry.

It was a long day. I took care of everything I could. Fortunately, I only had a few dollars cash in my wallet. What wasn't so fortunate was the fact that I had just placed two checks, one from the IRS and one from Jana, who I dog-sat for, in it before it became lost. I hadn't endorsed them, but was still concerned someone might successfully cash them.

It took a few days for Jana to put a stop on the check. About two hours after she informed me via text that she'd done it, I got a text from Evangeline, who informed me that she found my wallet on our front porch. Someone must have returned it. We don't use our porch in the winter, so it was a good thing she spotted it while looking for a package she was hoping UPS had dropped off. Despite having taken measures to replace virtually everything in it, it was nice having the wallet returned with everything in it. A true act of kindness it was.

Throughout the ordeal, I was able to put my Buddhist practice into use by being mindful and not getting caught up in thoughts of despair and cynicism. It wasn't easy, but it was educational. I learned the value of skillful thought, of dealing with only the tangible aspects of my situation. And, again, it was nice, a blessing really, being on the receiving end of a kind act.
--

Last night was Tracy and Ray's annual Pub Quiz. As usual it was a fun time. These days, it's not an easy feat getting a lot of our friends together in one place; this event makes it happen every year. Not everyone can make it, but the turnout is always good. The quiz was fun and raucous as it usually is. Ray told me he had begun preparing for it around Thanksgiving. I think he started earlier than that, like late summer. My team came in second place. I took home some coffee and chocolate as a prize. Not bad. I ate the chocolate already, in case you're wondering. I'll bring the coffee to The Ultimate Perk tomorrow and see if someone there, hopefully Mary, will grind the beans for me. I'll pledge to do her chores for a month if she does.

I don't know how it could ever happen, but rather than a few hours in a night, I'd like to spend  a weekend with the folks I saw last night (and the ones who weren't able to make it). I think that would be a blast. But, hey, I'm not complaining; the few hours were well worth it.
 --
 What else? Well, I've been listening a lot of Death Grips and Robert Wyatt. Strange bedfellows I suppose, but what can I say, I have divergent tastes. I've been continuing with my Wheel of Time re-read, something I put on hold for the last several months. I'm on The Fires of Heaven and only have about a thousand pages to go. By the time I get to the books Brandon Sanderson wrote to conclude the series after Jordan passed away, I may be in my sixties. We'll see.

I'm thinking if life would toss me a bone in the relationship department, well that would be alright with me. It's time.

More tattoos on the horizon? Yes, just a matter of when. It's possible I may get one or two as a Christmas present to myself. Not sure, though, because there are other things I could use. Like a new TV. After buying one for my mother, I realized mine could stand to be replaced. I don't watch it that often, but it would be nice to have a new one to watch movies on . We'll see.

Alright, readers, time to go. Man, I miss Missy D. It's only been a week since I last saw her, but she's my girl and I miss her. Don't tell Spira, but it's Missy D. I want to see the most whenever I visit. Actually, Spira knows this. Ha!

Anyway, peace, and don't forget to eat your vegetables and scrub behind your ears and all that good stuff.


No comments: