Sunday, December 14, 2014

We drank champagne and danced all night under electric candlelight

I'm pretty discerning when it comes to shopping. Not always, there are the occasional impulse buys, but over the years I've honed my skills through the admixture of  patience, intuition, studied analysis, and possibly even divine grace. I've come away with some cool finds and great deals. I'm speaking mostly to online shopping and the only reason I'm bringing this up is because I just purchased from Amazon Stephen King's Cujo in Kindle format and an mp3 of Phill Niblock's Works For Hurdy Gurdy and Voice for under ten smackers.

I've been contemplating reading Cujo for a few weeks now. It's one of his books I've avoided mostly because of an association I've maintained between the book and the movie, as if they one in the same. It's rare that I make unfair assumptions like that, but I did. Anyway, I read a ton of reviews for the book and most of them were favorable. And, hey, I'd pay more than that for a six pack of beer or a matinee showing of The Hunger Games: Part Whatever.

This Niblock album is what I've been hoping to find for a while now. It's three tracks are micro-tonal drones and the combination of hurdy gurdy and voice sounds beautiful. The voice and hurdy gurdy often sound so much alike it's to distinguish between the two. For those reasons and the drone-like quality of the compositions, it's been a powerful talisman in both my yoga and meditation practices. And I like having it on when I'm reading or writing. Cool that I came upon this piece of music that fit the desired specifications I'd been looking for but was having trouble articulating in search engines.

Still on the mend. This cold has decided to stick around for a bit. I'm going to go take it easy. I'll read, perhaps watch a movie (The Wolf of Wall Street is streaming on Netflix). We'll see.

Take care, loves.

No comments: