Sunday, December 28, 2014

He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake

It's Sunday and my mini vacation draws to a close. That's alright, it'll be another short week. Christmas has come and gone, a blur of activity that winked in and out of existence like a dimly recalled dream. Tomorrow it's back to work and other realities of life. I'll enjoy today as much as I can.

Christmas. The first part was spent at my grandmother's house with cousins and sundry. Traditionally, her house is the last destination of the day, but it was reversed this year mostly to accommodate my grandmother's waning energy, but also to enable everyone to spend time with immediate family and not have to rush. My mother had the idea, and it made sense for everyone.

The TV I got my mom wasn't a hit and caused a bit of drama. I had been looking forward to seeing her expression when she opened it; I wasn't expecting her to be bummed out, which, as it happened, she was. She said she was still happy with her old TV, which was a shock to me because she had expressed to me on more than one occasion that when she had the funds available, she was going to get a new one. Her TV was old, bulky, and losing it's picture quality among other things. Still happy with it? WTF!

Anyway, she said she was grateful for what I'd done and that she really liked the TV and wanted to keep it. There were indications as I was setting it up that she felt otherwise, but I held out hope that once it was operational, she'd feel better. She did, eventually, but it was rough going for a bit.

My mom felt lousy about appearing ungrateful. " I guess I'm not good with change", she confessed to me numerous times. She even wrote me a lengthy apology email. It all worked out. We had a good discussion and everything is fine.

For my part, I got a new iPad mini to replace my damaged one. I also got some much needed bedding. My bosses got us Apple TV, which prompted me to get my own new TV (same one I got my mom) with some of the bonus money they gave me. Turns out, my old bear of a TV wasn't compatible with Apple TV. So I took advantage of a sale the day after Christmas and, voila, I'm a little more modern.  Apple TV, by the way, rocks. Who needs cable? Not me, son! Haven't had it in years and years and now I'm even less inclined to get it.

So Christmas was fine. Spira and Missy D came to my mom's and we ate Chinese food and talked and stuff. A good day. I was happy to have the next several days off with a house all to my self. I practiced a bunch of yoga, sometimes twice a day, to combat all the sweets and other unhealthy food I'd been eating.

Yesterday, I saw the final Hobbit installment with Ali and Spira at the new AMC Imax theater in Somerville. Great effin' movie! Afterward, we got some coffee at a French bakery and ate some North End pizza from a little shop next door. Nice little area over there in Assembly Square. They've got Lego Land, the movie theater, and a ton of outlet stores. Who needs Kittery?

Alright, stuff to do. Last night I rented Dawn of The Planet of The Apes and it was very good. Today, I might watch another movie, but I'd like to do some writing and reading. Maybe meditate. We'll see.

Bye.

No comments: