Friday, December 12, 2014

Shave and a haircut, two bits

Had an absorbing and intuitive yoga session after work this evening and I feel centered and rubbery and hale. This life throws a lot at you and much of it sticks. Yoga revitalizes in multitudinous ways; it is one of the several reasons it's an integral part of my life; so integral that I'm often surprised, even though I've been an avid student of the craft for years, how deeply it matters to me. I still harbor slightly the fear that if I take more than two days off, I run the serious risk of parting ways with yoga.

That is just a mind-generated fear. Spira says I'm a yogini and I think she means it. I tend to agree with her. There is no longer Kevin and yoga. It has become, with the slow grace of time, Kevin=yoga. I'm so thankful it's a part of me, that it's something abiding, a powerful ally. Because, man, I don't need to tell you that life isn't always a lazy Sunday in the meadow. We need all the allies we can get.


So, real quick, here's what you should be watching: Black Mirror. A brief description of the show would be that it's a modern twist on The Twilight Zone. I'm only two episodes in, so whether that is a true assessment I couldn't say. I can say that it's very well done and, based on the two episodes I've seen, it's a stark look at the dark, dehumanizing avenues modern technology take us down.

Listening to a lot of Robert Wyatt these days. Love that man.

Finished reading King's 11/22/63. I enjoyed it. The ending got me misty. King hit the right beat, really nailed it. He's not really known for his endings. I don't know, endings are tough; you can't please everyone. A lot of people disliked the ending of The Dark Tower, but I thought it was the exact right way to end the story. But what do I know?

Now I'm reading Michael Talbot's The Delicate Dependency. It's taken me a long time to get to this book. I don't tend to read books about vampires, but this one is considered the high water mark of the genre and I loved Talbot's The Holographic Universe and reading about his friendship with Whitley Strieber. I'm about a quarter of the way in. So far, so good.

Been sick this week. Not too bad, a mere head cold that extended it's reign to my chest. Still, I'd rather not have been afflicted.

Yesterday was the two year anniversary of my father's passing. It's hard to believe it's been that long. I miss him a lot.

Well, it's time to wrap this up. I have matters to attend to.

And Billy has been plotting; I need to be vigilant.

No comments: