Sunday, September 8, 2013

So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine

Bjork's Vespertine is necessary on a post party Sunday. It just is. It's a dreamy cloud with bite and just what I need. I'm not hungover - not really; I am sleepy and fuzzy-headed. I'll take that over a hangover any day. It was a late night at Mark & Becky's. The party was still going when Craig and I left around three thirty. I strode the edge of drunkenness; I nearly succumbed at one point deep in the belly of the night, but some impulse, one that has mercifully asserted itself many times before, placed itself in front of me and Gandalfed my ass. You shall not pass! So no hangover. U-S-A! U-S-A!


It was a memorable night. I got to congregate with a sizable group of quality people, which is always the perfect elixir for almost everything. There were no fights, only revelry. As I say, I was among quality people and one thing I love about them is their willingness to have fun. Well, isn't everyone willing to have fun? No, child, I'm afraid not. Many folks may say they are, but we know better, don't we? Covet the fun-loving; they are the gems.

Because the party was on the fancy side, people were dressed to the nines and looking fine.With all due respect to the men, who looked debonair, to be sure, I particularly enjoyed what the ladies had going on. I don't mean to be a cad - I suppose an case could be made that I am - but damn, son! Anyway, you know me deep to my core and know I love women and appreciate them on a whole variety of levels. That's right - appreciate. High five, Gloria Steinem!

It took me a long time to arrive at a place where I could unabashedly and confidently exhibit my appreciation for any given woman on a purely physical level without feeling kind of oily about it. I hate seeing guys treat women like toys, something lesser. I never want to be that guy, but there is a way to find a woman attractive, to even let her know in a bold manner, without coming off like a creep. So instead of saying, "How 'bout bending over, baby, so I can do you from behind?", I say "Well, aren't you a lovely sight".  That approach tends to provoke less face slapping. And, sadly, less love making. Oh, the complications of life.

Craig stayed over and late this morning we walked over to Kelly's Diner and had breakfast. Afterward, we hung out at my place for a while. Glad we were able to do that; he's one of my favorite people to be around. After he left I tried for a nap that didn't take and watched Mad Men. When I'm done here, I may work on some music. Perhaps I'll make some headway in the lyric department. I'll probably read from Beloved, which, if I haven't said it before, has been a profound experience so far. I'm a little more than halfway through. I'm not going to lie to you, it's not a laugh riot, but it's a great read.

Take care of yourselves, you princes and princesses of Maine. Some of you I desire more than others, but I mustn't reveal who you are. If Billy finds out, he'll get you.

No comments: