Tuesday, September 17, 2013

And then taking from his wallet an old schedule of trains, he'll say I told you when I came I was a stranger

Oh, I don't know. The day was relatively quiet. Work wasn't very busy; I got out a bit early and picked up some groceries at the Market Basket in Andover. And here I am, back home, listening to Rimsky-Korsakev's Song of India, sipping coffee, and a puff or two. All in all, a fine day. The weather was sunny and crisp. Fall looms - but not yet, not yet.

Been reading from Chogyam Trungpa's Meditation In Action during lunch (Mother Night will have to wait a bit). One of the things I find attractive about Buddhism is its practicality. You can apply its teachings and not be spiritual or religious. No one to worship, no dogma - just tools to help you thrive in this life (lives). And I've been listening to the great philosopher, Alan Watts, cover much of the same ground. Every night before bed, I pick one of his talks on YouTube, shut out the lights, and try not to fall asleep (I always do, but hopefully I've been absorbing his words on another level).

Thought about my dad a lot today. Sometimes it's like that and sometimes, like today, I don't know what precipitated it. I miss him. Hard to believe, but it's almost been a whole year since he passed. I wonder if, in some capacity, our paths will cross again. Something tells me yes, but so much about this life is incomprehensible to me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Fruit flies have invaded our kitchen. I've gone on the offensive and have reduced their numbers, but victory still eludes me. Stay tuned, children of the damned!

For the last few years, I've been an avid watcher of TimberGiantBigfoot's videos on YouTube. He's this guy named Jim who treks out in the forest near his home in Ontario and looks for signs of Bigfoot. He mostly goes out by himself, but occasionally he'll bring his children. He's captured a lot of compelling video over the years. I find him to be highly credible. If he's a hoaxer, he's taking the subtle approach. Most of what he gets on film are strange stick structures, wood knocking, rock clacking, foot prints, possible dens - that type of thing.

He does have a number of videos in which a large bipedal creature can be seen, but they're a small part of a large body of work. It's rare that he'll definitively claim what he films is Bigfoot related. It's clear he's convinced they exist; he makes no bones about it, but he does try to take an even-keeled approach.

So I enjoy watching his videos, particularly because I'm a Bigfoot geek, but also because I find them comforting. Why not? He seems to be a nice guy and he's hanging out in the quiet forest filming away. Tranquil (though often not for him because he's out there alone among wild dogs (he was attacked by one), mountain lions, wolves...oh, my!) Anyway, the reason I brought him up is because he just posted some still frames of a recent video in which he got some very compelling footage. Going off what he offered up, he definitely filmed something that strongly resembles a large, bipedal primate. Think I'm stoked? Of course I am, child. Of course I am.

And with that, I'm the eff outta here. Be good, rascals. And stay in school.




No comments: