Sunday, July 28, 2013

Letters are written, never meaning to send

The Sabbath. It is here and finds me in good spirits, albeit a touch groggy. I took a nap this afternoon and it didn't really take. That's alright; as I said I'm in good spirits. I'm equipped with some coffee from True Grounds and expect a boost to my energy level any minute now. Here's a news flash: I'm not terribly fond of the coffee at True Grounds and only went there because I'm out and didn't feel like making a trip to the grocery store. Their brew is watery and bitter, at least to my sensibilities. And they always fill the cup right up to the rim. I once asked my old roommate, Matt, who's a barista, why some coffee houses do this. His reply: "They assume you wouldn't be so foolish as to defile their brew with cream or sugar, so they fill it to the rim." Next time I'll defile their faces with a full, piping hot cup. 

Yesterday was Rachael and Mike's party up in Peterborough, NH. I went up with Spira and Missy D. It was nice not having to make the trip by myself. It took us a while to get there for various reasons, one of which had to do with becoming slightly lost along the rolling back roads of Peterborough. We kept our composure and eventually arrived safe and sound to the Austin compound, where children, dogs, and adults intermingled outside and in.

Foley was there. Hadn't spoken to him in a long time. Despite a vague rift that lasted months, our reunion was joyful from the start . I'm glad he was there. Got to meet his girlfriend, Tess, who was pretty damned cool.

The night was filled with merriment. There was sangria (made by Janelle and I haven't tasted better), beer, smoke, music (impromptu jam sessions in hangar sized garage Mike does his blacksmithing , the kitchen, and porch), and mucho laughter among friends old and newly met.

I crashed in the room off the kitchen which Spira had abandoned in favor of sleeping in my tent because of the mosquitoes. I shouldn't say crashed because I didn't spend too much time there. I had gotten under the covers and Rachael serenaded me and a few others with some old-timey hymnals on the piano that sat across the room. It was a highlight of the night.

When everyone went off to bed, I tried to combat the mosquito problem (and it was a problem - I had thought Spira was overreacting a bit when she abandoned the room - she had even contemplated driving home - but those fuckers were brutal) by hiding under the blankets, but those rascals found a way in and buzzed around my head incessantly.

After about twenty minutes of that, I made an executive decision to change locations. I went out to the car and got my camping pad and pillow and migrated to the basement where there had once been a couch but presently there were only boxes. I set my stuff in the dark and promptly fell asleep. It was a good decision; I slept through the night, dreaming of sugar plum fairies and what not.

Scott made us all blueberry pancakes this morning and we had coffee and toast. Spira and I left around eleven. We stopped at McDonald's so she could get some coffee and we both ended up getting a fillet-o-fish. I rarely - emphasis on the word rarely - get fast food these days, but on occasion a fillet-o-fish is in order. We both like them quite a bit and these indulgences are fine every once in a while. It was tasty, son!

A great weekend with friends. These days especially, I find myself really savoring my time with my people. I won't have them around forever.

And now it is time to get on with my evening. I may watch Synecdoche, New York or find a Charlie Chaplin film on YouTube. We'll see. The night is young and there is a whole menu of options. Wish me luck, worms!

No comments: