Monday, July 1, 2013

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back, my ship of love, is ready to attack

I spent my entire work day at the courthouse in Cambridge. It wasn't supposed to have gone down like that, but it worked out to my advantage. The idea was for me to record some docs in the morning and head into work when I was done. Even though we weren't sure when we'd be funded (we were doing this as a favor for an attorney my bosses are friendly with) it seemed likely I'd arrive at work by noon the latest. I got to the registry at nine, recorded some odds and ends we had kicking around at the office and waited for the word about funding. It came around two. In the meantime, I worked on lyrics, admired the female folk, and read from Flashman's Lady. I felt almost zero guilt about getting paid to do all of that. There wasn't much else for me to do.

Around one, I walked over to Finagle-a-Bagel and ordered an egg sandwich, something I haven't done in a long time. After about ten minutes of watching people who ordered after me get their food, I asked a clerk where mine was. Turns out it was sitting on the rear counter all by its lonesome. I was hungry, but man was that a bad sandwich. I don't know about you, but I don't need two or three heaping tablespoons of watery chive cream cheese on my egg sandwiches. After some excavation, I went to town, but it was not a labor of love. The ham was a sickly pink color and the egg was a limp, wilted thing. And the wheat bagel was soft and almost mushy, aka not toasted. Should have walked the extra couple of blocks to my car and grabbed my blueberry Greek yogurt. For reals. Fuck you, Finagle-a-Bagel! Actually, I should thank you for reminding me why I stay away from food like that.

So I ended up getting on record around three. No point going into work at that hour. By the time I got there, I'd be turning around and heading home in short order. I didn't get a full day in, which I'll feel the slight pinch next paycheck, but it was worth it. I came home and spent a couple of hours trying to lay down some guitar tracks for a song I've been developing for months. It concerns the passing of my dad and I think it conveys the appropriate mood.

I've been so focused on this song over the last week or so that I needed some distance from it. I wrote a new song, something decidedly more upbeat, and have been working on adaptations of two cover songs. One is Dog Breath, by Frank Zappa and the other is Porpoise Song, by The Monkees. It's funny, when I chose these songs it wasn't based on any connection between them, but now that I think of it, there are indeed connections. Each song has a mammal featured in the title and Frank Zappa appeared on The Monkees. And maybe that's it as far as connections go. Not so many, but it seemed like there would be none at all.

 Anyway....

Went to Mike's bbq on Saturday. Good seeing friends I don't see all that often. The time flew by and it seemed like I barely got to talk to anyone. I was pretty beat by the time I left. There are reasons for it, and one of them was that I had gotten up early to practice yoga. It was a vigorous, expansive session, but it took it's toll, I suppose. I still stayed up late, though; the toll wasn't too heavy.

The first season of Life's Too Short arrived in the mail today. Wasn't expecting it for a few more days. I'll have to watch an episode or two tonight. It's my birthday present to myself. I asked for a pony, but I doubt I'll be able to afford one.

And I'll work on music and meditate. A short week it will be. G'night, rascals.

No comments: