Sunday, July 7, 2013

My, my, the clock in the sky is ticking away, there's so much to say

It is Sunday and my long weekend rolls up to the finish line. It was a good one. On July 4th, I went to my mom's early in the day, with Nana in tow, and we had a nice little cookout with my sister and her family. And because the following day was my birthday, we celebrated with cake and possibly ice cream (actually, there was no ice cream). As we were leaving, the absence of my father hit me and I lost it for a bit. So did my mom and sister. We miss him terribly. Fuck, it still hurts.

Later in the day, I went over to Spira's to attend her cookout/birthday gathering. Started off poorly with the concierge telling me there were no parking passes available. I was forced to pay six bucks at the lot nearby. Turns out, Spira had reserved a couple of passes and there was one waiting for me. Not a fan of that concierge.

The gathering went well. Viboo and Jonathan, Pat and Allie, Janelle and Bill, Rebecca Spira, and me had a great meal that included kobe beef burgers and a delicious tort Spira made. We then walked down Memorial Drive to witness the fireworks. I enjoyed myself like a kid having a positive acid trip. I wasn't on acid, but I did have some beers and reefer. So there's that. Fun times.

On Friday, Janelle and Bill treated me to dinner in Newburyport at a Mexican restaurant called Agave. Michelle, Kayla, and her girlfriend, Kiley, came along. I had a swell time, but the restaurant was cramped and didn't have a/c, which was weird because we were in the middle of a crippling heat wave and the place was fairly high-end. I ordered a grilled shrimp and avocado salad and pounded a couple of glasses of water. It was the right call.

The heat must have gotten to me because I was under the weather later that night and into the next day. Seems like every year around this time, lately anyway, I get a stomach virus. I kicked it's ass (after it kicked mine) and spent the rest of the day yesterday lounging around recovering. Which was what I did today, too, though I did start it off with a lengthy yoga session. And I also ate very little. After all the different types of food I'd eaten over the last few days, I needed a bit of cleansing (in addition to the cleansing by way of my ass I'd endured the day before).

What else? I did some recording this weekend and read from Flashman's Lady. I watched episodes of Life's Too Short, caught the replay of the Silva/Weidman fight (too much clowning around cost you, Anderson) and watched China Town. I napped. Those types of things.

Could the weekend gone better? Of course. But that's not the way to approach it. I enjoyed myself quite a bit and felt massive appreciation for the friends and family I have.

Ok, time to do other, sexier, things.

No comments: