Thursday, June 6, 2013

Big city, big city nights

It was around the time Adam and I, performing as The Sea Shells, released our low-fi masterpiece, "Someday My Prince Will Come (In Your Face)". Our main band, Mad By Northwest (or Fuzzy Pumper - we never could settle on a name), with Steve and Tony, was at its creative peak.

I was hanging out with Tony one day listening the aforementioned masterpiece and he told me how it provoked a terribly awkward moment with his mother. One day, she was talking to him in his room and saw our tape. She picked it up, considered it, and said "Someday my prince will come in your face". She looked at Tony intently and without humor for several excruciating seconds. As he desperately tried to think of a way out of the situation, ideally one that would erase it from his memory, his mother exclaimed "Oh, I get it! In your face, like when you just beat someone at chess and are rubbing it in. In your face!".

Tony's mother put the tape down and left the room. He probably let out the longest and deepest sigh of relief of his life up to that point. I guess Tony's mother had a narrow sexual view. She didn't catch the vulgarity. Or did she? I'll have to inquire.

Anyway, it was a good little ep. It started off with a song called "Stable Boy" which is a weirdly dark song about a weirdo stable boy. I have no idea where that song came from, but I'm sure it reflected my psychological state at the time. Yikes. That song was followed by one of my favorite tracks in The Sea Shells canon. I can't think of its name right now, but it's notable because:

1. It has one of the punchiest, funkiest, Jack Johnson era Miles, bass lines. Adam could play the bass, son!

2. The wah driven guitar playing by Adam slippery and tight and all in the groove. He could play the guitar, son!

3. My percussion (pots and pans) was so deep in the pocket, my head nearly scratched the floor.

4. The vocals. Adam used to speed up his voice sometimes. This time he didn't go as high; they almost sounded normal, which was gave the song a strange sheen. A little tidbit:just about every track we ever recorded was strange.

We wrote and recorded everything in a day. I should go dig it up some time.

In your face!

No comments: