Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Am I still in you?

I had a song by Low float through my mind earlier today, unsolicited but not unwelcome. Here I am now, typing away listening to one of their strongest albums, Secret Name. I've been deeply inward lately and consequently sensitive to external stimulus. My listening habits have favored the quieter side of music, hence the soft, autumnal balladry of Low.

My life is pretty fucked up and I don't feel too terrible about it. I fell I'm ready to emerge into something far better. Whether this will be the outcome, I'm not wholly convinced yet, but the process is something I don't have the skill to articulate. Yet. Come, let's graduate from this topic.

Superbowl Sunday. I enjoyed watching the game with my dad. My mom prepared a ton of food for the event even though there was only going to be two of us eating it. My mom is a sweet woman. Sure the Patriots lost the game, but it was a good one, and anyway my abiding memory of it will be the quality time I spent with my father. On my way out the door after the game, he thanked me for coming by, adding that he doesn't have guests come by that often. Unlike my mother, who's been a social butterfly since retiring, my father has lost touch with most of his friends. I think our time together that night was good for the both of us, though perhaps in different ways.

Been able to catch some recent Celtics games online, which has been great because we don't have cable (I really don't miss it, though I would love to be watching Life's Too Short, which, from the clips I've seen, looks like it could be the funniest show I've ever seen, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. And Game of Thrones when it comes back). Paul Pierce has been playing out of his mind. Despite being unsure about the reconstituted lineup, I've been impressed with the makeup of this team. They're scrappy and mentally tough. So far anyway.

I woke up way too early this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. Second day in a row. I was lethargic all day and by the time I came home, my head was pounding. I feel quite a bit better now. I'm keeping it low key for the rest of the night. Will probably watch an episode of Downton Abbey. They've ratcheted up the soap opera aspects of the show this season, but it's still been good. Still, I can't believe I compared the show to Deadwood at one point. That was just silly of me.

I've got some garlic lovers humus looking at me. It says "Wrap it up, my friend, and commence to eating me." I obey my master's call always, so see ya', you cutthroats and cockerels.

No comments: