Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tiny hoofies bend, oh bend bonny

My long, protracted battle with my computer saw its end last week. Most certainly, the victor was not me. No, my computer, or rather the enemy host that infected it, finally made it so that my ability to use it became virtually impossible. I'll spare you the details of the insidious ways in which it accomplished this. I fought tooth and nail to the end, spent a lot of time being surgeon, but I couldn't stem the tide.

Janelle and Aviv left for Israel the other day. In her absence, Janelle graciously offered me the use of her computer. Up until yesterday, Christmas day, I took her up on her offer. I had partly expected and hoped that the gods of Christmas, who we've diluted into the image of Santa Claus, but in this instance I'm referring to my parents, would assess my hardship and take appropriate, logical, measures. In other words, come to my rescue.

They did, thank goodness, and I when I came home last night, I immediately set about dismantling the old, ravaged, computer, and installed the new one. My parents saved the day, something they've done for me in countless ways my entire life. I am grateful.

I'm loving the new computer, with its ease of use and much bigger monitor. I downloaded iTunes and have been ripping CD's onto it. Listening to Deerhoof as I type.

Christmas was fulfilling. I did the bulk of my shopping on Thursday and felt satisfied that I picked out thoughtful, appropriate, gifts. When I showed up at my parent's house in the morning, it was with confidence that my relatives would appreciate their gifts. They did. Score one for the K Man!

The gift that went over the best was the toy cell phone I got for my five year old niece, Colleen. I knew my sister and brother in law were getting cell phones for her older sisters and I didn't want her to feel left out. Plus, Colleen is a chatterbox, so I figured she'd get some use out of a phone.

From my parent's house, we went to my grandmother's , where we met up with my aunt and uncle and cousins. Sitting in the living room, I reminisced about past Christmases I had spent there (All of them, in fact. Since I was born, a Christmas has not gone by that I didn't spend there). Lots of kids around; for a while it was just adults, but then there was a boom of children. I'm not complaining; they're fun to be around.

Today the snow will hit. A big storm, I hear. I'm glad I don't have to work tomorrow. It's just me and Pooch Edward Bottoms. Which reminds me, I should go see what he's up to. Don't want him to get lonely. I'll be watching Red Beard at some point. Late last night I watched the Harry Nilsson biography on the computer. It was awesome, as I expected it would be. One of the best songwriters that ever lived. And his voice? If I could sing half as good as him, I'd be in good shape.

Ok, bye.

3 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I know I am a bit late but just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. Glad to hear you had a good one! Be safe over the New Year!
All the Best,
Leigh

P.s. Sorry to hear about your computer. Glad to see you replaced her. ;)

Kevin said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Leigh! And a Happy New Year. I'm glad to be back online, but we're presently being hit with a blizzard and I wonder if we'll lose power. Crossing my fingers.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Haha! I was hoping we would loss power too! Stay warm!