Thursday, December 30, 2010

It's the true loves that make me want to cry, it's the true loves that make me want to say goodbye

The new year approaches as this one turns to dust, as everything within the scope of perception must, so let's get crackin' on these awards which, by all accounts, meaning my own, have been transcendent.

Favorite album

I heard a lot of great ones this year, but Rufus Wainwright's All Days Are Nights was my favorite. It was a total surprise when I came upon this album at the store. I hadn't realized he had a new one out, which is odd because he's one of the few artists whose actions, musically speaking, I pay close attention to. I grabbed the CD in rapid, almost nervous, fashion, as if it would flee from my grip the instant I made contact, never to return. I almost said "Keep the change" to the cashier as I checked out, so eager I was to listen to what I was confident was going to be in heavy rotation the next month or so.

Stripped down to just piano and vocals, All Days Are Nights is a beautiful, oft mournful and intimate, album. When people hear my music, they often compare it to Nick Drake or Elliot Smith, but hardly anyone ever mentions Rufus as being a likely influence of mine. Well, he's a big one and, ever since his debut, which blew my mind quite thoroughly, thank you very much, I've been a devotee. He has the best sense of melody since Harry Nilsson or Paul McCartney. He is the most accomplished songwriter of his generation. "True Loves", from the new album, is one of the best songs I've ever heard, but I only say that because it's playing right now. Almost every song of his is the best song I ever heard. Ok, Sonnet 43 is playing now, and I have to say it's one of the best songs I've ever heard. Seriously, and I'm not afraid to admit this, tears have formed over how sublime this song is.

Runners up:

Maddy Prior and June Tabor - Silly Sisters. I love this album so much. These two titans of English folk are wondrous apart, but together.....Oh, my! "The Grey Funnel Line" is as sublime as any song by Rufus.

Dick Gaughan - Live In Edinburgh. I had never heard of him before until Mara gave me this CD. An incredible performance, full of passion, great singing, and guitar playing. I hear he was a Communist, which makes sense given the scattering of worker songs throughout. I may just convert - he really sold it. "Now Westlin Winds" , is beautifully rendered.

Fairport Convention - Full House. As you can see, I've been listening to a lot of from Great Britain (Mr. Gaughan is a Scot). You know why? Because I like it, that's why! Full House is the first Fairport album after Sandy Denny's departure, which is the equivalent of Robert Plant leaving Led Zeppelin (In fact Sandy was the only guest vocalist the band ever had on their albums). As a result, the album is more muscular and punchy. Dave Swarbrick sings more, along with Richard Thompson, and everyone brings the ruckus. As much as I love Sandy Denny's vocals, this is probably my favorite album by them. I think I sang along to "Sir Patrick Spense" around two hundred times over the last month or two.

Richard & Linda Thompson - Ok, one more trip to England. I've been listening to just about everything they released for awhile now and I can't believe it's taken me this long to dive into their output.

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of AdZ. He really stepped up his game with this one. Symphonic, electronic, organic, and epic, this is a fine piece of work.

Deer Hoof - It took me a few years to come back around to them, but come around I did. I hear Can, Captain Beefheart, The Ramones, Frank Zappa, The Beach Boys, in their music. Mostly, though, I hear Deerhoof, and, what can I say, I love 'em.

Bob Dylan - Desire. This could be my favorite Dylan record. I love everything about it, from the reverb -soaked drums to the short story-length lyrics. I love his singing on this - his duets with Emmylou Harris are as good as you're going to hear.

Here's the deal: I could keep going with this runners up list, so I'm going to call it quits and go watch John From Cincinnati. It's possible I may catch up on some 30 Rock, too. See you next time for some more awards. Yippppeeeeee!!

Best Show

No comments: