Monday, December 20, 2010

I'm the one, natural one

I don't watch the weather reports, but from what I was told by numerous people and from what I could see with my own eyes, the devastating snow storm we were supposed to be buried by, missed us. For most of the day, not a flake of snow was evident. Around one thirty, it started snowing, but only a little, as if it were an after thought. By the time I drove to the Registry of Deeds in Lawrence, which was around two thirty, the ground was covered and it looked like something substantial was in the works.

The drive was slow, but manageable. When I got back to work, the snow had abated. Marcy told me we were only supposed to get a dusting. Well, it's almost eight and the snow is coming down hard, son! I'm glad my commute home was prior to the mess that's out there now. Granted, it's not a blizzard, but what I see out there is not what was advertised. At least to me. Again, I don't watch the weather, so this could be exactly what was forecast for all I know.

I went for a run after work. I like running on snow, so it was a good run, despite the last few miles taking place in snow that was asserting itself mightily. After supper, I walked over to the laundromat through the wind and, you guessed it, snow. For the record, I dislike winter more and more every year. It's not so much the snow, but the overall bleakness. Someday I will move to warmer climes. I say that every winter.
--
Earlier today, I asked Therese where she was spending Christmas. Here's a sampling of her response, which took about ten minutes to complete. Actually, let's refrain from that. I couldn't bear reliving even a portion of her diatribe. Just know that she covered her job history, which I've heard many, many times, and I'm willing to bet I could draft a resume for her from memory. She also told me about her brother's leather jacket that she still owns after all these years and her husband wears occasionally, her dislike of her son's girlfriend, her husband's job, and a bunch of other stuff that had little bearing on the question in hand. I'm fond of Therese, but I wouldn't mind it if she took the direct route now and again.
--
This past Friday was Spira's first movie night at her place. She just bought a colossal HD TV and decided movie night was one way to put it to good use. We had a meal of left overs from her party the week before and we- and by we I mean Allie, Hian, Spira, and myself - watched Frosty, The Snowman, which just happened to be on, and It's A Wonderful Life, which Allie and I lobbied for. Spira and Hian had never seen it; we thought it was time they were exposed to this classic.

I hadn't seen Frosty in years and suspected it would feel dated. I was wrong - it held up well. Glad I saw it. And you know what else? I'm out of here. The phone is a-ringin' and I need to answer it. Aloha.

No comments: