Monday, December 13, 2010

Find a place to call my own, and try to fix up, start a brand new day

While it won't go down as one of my most epochal, the weekend went well. Spira's Christmas party was on Saturday. Lots of good food - most everyone made a dish - and there was some alcohol flowing. Not all of it down my gullet, mind you, but I imbibed enough to make me more charming and dynamic. Alas, not enough to get me laid, but at least once a woman brushed my shoulder as she walked by. I vowed never to wash that shoulder ever again. And I won't.

Mary was there. We don't hang out as much these days, but it was gratifying seeing her. Mary is Foley's sister and we've known each other for a long time and have always had an easy way between us. Foley had wanted to pair us up back in the day, but for whatever reason it never happened. When Mary left the party, Pam came over to me and said, "I think she really likes you". I explained that Mary is happily married, but Pam held to her observation. "Even still, I think she really likes you." I'm not sure Pam had it right, but even if she did, what then? Best not dwell on it.

Spira did a great job with the party. I like seeing her happy and happy she was. And Missy the dog looked adorable (Is it allowed for a pure-hearted, masculine, heterosexual male to use the word adorable in any context? Hmmm....). She received plenty of attention in her poofy green, bell-bedecked, collar thingy (I know there's a name for it, but I'm too dull-witted presently to conjure it). If only Baby Boy Z was there in the smoking jacket I often picture him wearing. He would have been the belle of the ball instead of me.

Craig and Karen crashed at our place after the party. Karen was a little worse for wear and needed to be helped on to the futon. Craig and I stayed up talking until four thirty. I fell asleep immediately upon hitting the bed. I woke up around eleven thirty pleased that everyone was still around. Janelle made a delicious omelet for breakfast. Nice having a full house.

In one of our conversations, Craig said something to the effect of having had more of a religious experience staring at the Sun through the trees in the woods behind his house than he ever did going to church as a youth. Good stuff. I don't think Craig has studied Taoism much, but he summed it up pretty well.

And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden
.
--
Over time, I have been left with little or no Christmas spirit. It happens, I know, as one gets older, but I think it's too bad. When I was growing up, the Christmas season was a sacred time. I used to start getting geared up for it well before Thanksgiving. I'd scour the television for anything Christmas related. This was not such a simple task in early November, but I always found enough to get me excited. For whatever reason, "Yogi Bear's First Christmas" would be one of the first shows to air. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it holds a special place because of the function it served: like a robin sighting marks the first sign of spring, this program started the Christmas season off.

I'm of a mind to revisit the Christmas specials of my youth, but I've got other things I want to do. Maybe in my next post. Yes, my next post. See you then.

No comments: