Sunday, May 10, 2015

There's a terror in knowing what this world is about

I finished McMurtry's Zeke & Ned the other day. It's a shade more somber than some of his other westerns, but there was the classic McMurtry humor sprinkled throughout. And, though it wasn't as EPIC as some of his other westerns, it was quite a yarn. I've subsequently moved on to Boone's Lick, another McMurtry western, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. This one is more of an adventure.I don't ever like to pronounce I have a favorite anything, but if pressed about who my favorite author is, I'd put Larry McMurtry at the top of the heap.

Another busy week and it flew by. After work on Monday I spread some lime at my mom's house and took care of a few other chores. The weather was accommodating, but between all the lime clouding up around me and the focused swarm of flying insects, I longed to be back inside. The spreader I used wasn't very serviceable; it barely lived up to its name. I had to jerk it back and forth as I went to get an even amount of the lime out.

Afterward, I went to Drum Hill and got my haircut. At first, I had my doubts about the woman cutting my hair. It was hard to tell if she was being meticulous or was taking it so slow because she was new to the game and didn't want to make any mistakes. Turned out it was the former, which was a relief. Her attention to detail resulted in a good cut.

She had an undercurrent of mischief about her.  I got the sense that if I got to know her better, I'd see it in action. She was pretty and despite, or perhaps because of, my unkempt post yard work appearance, she seemed like she might be into me on some level. Who knows.

I visited with Amanda a couple of days later. She's been going through some drama and I think it was good for her to have someone to vent  to for a bit. She lives about a mile from my work. Easy commute to her place. I have a few friends that live in Andover now. It's nice having allies around me.

All of us in Ignore Emporium have been busy which made scheduling a practice difficult. We're set to record next week in Union Sq. and want to be prepared. Looks like we'll play tomorrow night. The stakes aren't terribly high for this recording gig so no one's losing their shit.I think we'll acquit ourselves just fine.

I tried to going the humane route with the mice in our kitchen but it didn't work. The no-kill traps I purchased weren't effective - not one mouse took the bait. Unfortunate.Yesterday, with some reluctance, I bought some Decon. Something had to be done; these rascals have been shitting all over our stove and counter tops and spooking the crap out of us with their scurrying around. That is not a healthy environment. Still, I feel lousy about having to go this route.

Before heading up to Nashua last night to see my friends in The Clones play, I stopped at my mother's house to drop off a card and some flowers for Mother's Day. I visited for a bit; she shared my nieces pre prom pictures (fuck, I remember holding them as bambinas!) while I lavished little Mimi with attention. My mom seemed sad or tired, I couldn't tell which. In hindsight, I think she was tired. At least that's what I hope.

Later, in Nashua, I got to see some friends and hear some music. I had a good time but it would have been a better time if I didn't have to drive back to the city. So no carousing to the wee hours for me. I had a beer, watched the band, shared some laughs with friends, flirted. Fun, but next time I'll make arrangements to crash at someone's house or some shit.

The day is young and has the potential to be a lazy one. We'll see.

Bye, rancheros!

No comments: