Sunday, May 17, 2015

Rudolph Valentino is very much alive, he looks up laidies dresses as they sadly pass him by

It's a nice day and I haven't left the house. Sometimes it goes like that, what can I say? I'll take a walk to the store in a bit; that will give me some outdoors time. Happy now?

A lazy day and I needed it. The past week was packed to the gills with all sorts of stuff and having today to recharge the batteries feels necessary. The band had a practice scheduled but poor Janelle is being assaulted by bronchitis and probably shouldn't be singing. I haven't been terribly productive but I did work on music for about an hour, so there's that. I also watched an episode of Game of Thrones. Not sure that counts as productive, but whatever.

Evangeline moved out several days ago and her parting was bittersweet. I'll see her again when she comes back in a few months to retrieve some of her belongings. Andrew will be coming by shortly to pick up his key. He'll be moving in next weekend.

Ignore Emporium played it's first performance last Thursday at SCAT, Somerville's cable access station. One of Pat's friends had offered the gig to us a few weeks ago. We had a good chunk of the evening at our disposal to get a number of songs on tape. It was interesting, to be sure. Everyone we worked with was easygoing, which made for a relaxed atmosphere. That was good because navigating Union Square at 6pm looking for parking was not a relaxing experience for any of us.

We played well, I think - we'll know for sure when the songs are posted in a day or two - but even if we didn't, it was a bit of a rite of passage for us, meeting our first challenge as a band. We went out for a drinks afterward to celebrate. I was a solo musician for a long time; being in a band again feels really good. The chemistry is there for sure, and when we start playing out, which I believe will be sooner than later, I think we're going to be formidable. I was talking to Pat outside after our performance and he said, "Man, I just realized this could really go someplace and it's kind of scary, but it's thrilling, too!" I told him I'm so confident in my songs and the people I play with that all we have to do is just keep playing together and we will most certainly go someplace with this.

Being in a band with people I love has been a long time coming and increasingly gratifying.

I took Missy D for a nice long walk yesterday while Spira was at her yoga teacher training class. That girl is the dog equivalent of a super model. I had at least three people come up to me and comment about how pretty she is. Sadly, they didn't say anything about how pretty I am. Don't worry, I'm used to it. Anyway, it was a good walk. Later, we took a nap together on Spira's bed.

When Spira returned from her class, we walked over to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I got the eggplant parm. When it arrived, I realized why it was a bit pricey: there was enough pasta and eggplant on the plate for three or four stout people. I asked the waitress how many people who order the dish clean their plates. "A lot", she said. No wonder so many of us are soft, bloated fucks.

I purchased a couple of albums by The Move yesterday on iTunes. Great band! After several albums and a ton of success in Great Britain, they morphed into ELO. I prefer The Move over ELO. They had more grit and were more folky and progressive.

You ever find yourself in a situation where someone doesn't quite realize that you know more about something than they think you do and they proceed to bullshit you as if you didn't? Of course you have. Well, maybe not of course, but it amounts for some interesting situations.

Alright, puppies, that's all I've got for you.


No comments: