Tuesday, August 27, 2013

You who wish to conquer pain, you must learn to serve me well

Man, I'm tired. Listening to King Sunny Ade; hopefully it will prove to be a stimulant. However it goes, I'm here with you now, my children. And I'm back home after house sitting for Spira. The transition has been bittersweet. Here are some highlights from my stay.

1. I caught up on Boardwalk Empire by watching several episodes I missed from last season. My grade: A. Fucking love this show.

2. Speaking of watching, I took advantage of Spira's Netflix account and watched The Descendents (not as good as I expected it to be. That's the problem with expectations: they disappoint), Herzog's Happy People (fur trappers living waaaay off the grid in Siberia - my grade: A, of course), Samsara (beautiful and trippy imagery) and Upstream Color, which I can only describe as the bastard son of Terence Malick and David Lynch (yes, two men can sire a bastard son. I wish I could tell you how, but I'm not allowed to).

3. And since we're on the topic, I also watched season three of Game of Thrones (Damn,son!), episodes of The Office (comfort food), The Sopranos, Veep (I feel like it tries too hard), Vice Guide, and 30 Rock.

4. Golly, I watched a lot of TV. However, I did other things, too. For instance, I practiced yoga virtually every day. I was feeling loose, son! Spira's new mat was such a pleasure to use, it was a bit of a bummer returning to my own. Looks like I might be shelling out some cash for a new mat. It will be a worthwhile purchase.

5. I also managed to work on music, not as much as I intended ( I had grand ambitions), but I got a couple  of new songs out of it. Both were written on piano, an instrument I've had an intermittent relationship with over the years. The first song I worked on managed to stick with me; I was sure I was going to lose interest in it, particularly because it was something born from lazy, begrudging noodling. Since I was so transfixed with chilling out, motivation was scarce and the song was the best I could muster. It stuck with me, this fairly simple piano piece, and before I knew it, I was enamored. It happens like that sometimes. Can't wait to finish it.

6. Missy D. I love that pup! We had a blast. We cuddled, we played, she made me laugh. Our ritual of running down the hall to the elevator at the beginning of every walk makes me smile every time I think of it. Bounding down the hall we went, looking at each other, smiling.

I'm home. And feeling restless. Last week, hell the last several months, have been challenging. There have been times I've been startled by the vigor of some of my negative traits. It's been educational, though. I'm getting through. Other things have been taking seed within. And, recently, I've been presented with a possibility that would change my life significantly. My week has been spent pondering a big decision.

 I may need another week.

Peace, toddlers.

No comments: