Thursday, August 6, 2009

She's not a girl who misses much

Not very inspired to write tonight; this will be short, replete with malformed, unfiltered thoughts. So, in other words, aside from its length, it will mirror my other posts. I won't take it personally if you take a powder on this, especially considering I'll be doing the same, but there's got to come a point when you fully commit to this blog. I'm just saying.
--

Lately, a little more than ever, I've been wondering how long it will take for me to be completely alone, without friends and family. My life's been trending that way, especially with regards to friends, which is mostly the result of geography and busy lifestyles, and, even though I don't see that as an outcome, I admit to be a little concerned. After all, I don't have a family of my own and a few of my close relationships haven't felt that way in a while. But, dear readers, that is not necessarily reflective of the truth with a big T. It's hard envisioning myself as a hermit. No, the pure-hearted are not wired for that eventuality.
--

Been trying to figure out which song disgusts me more:

This



This

Lullaby, by Shawn Mullins (I tried copying the video from YouTube but was blocked from doing so. Probably done as a service to prevent this horrible, horrible, song from spreading like the cancer it is.)

Or This:



I was prevented from copying the video of this song, too. The song is just as shitty and annoying in this live clip, so I included it. Could have done the same for Mullins, but I almost threw up in my mouth when I tried, so I aborted the attempt.

So, which song disgusts me the most? It's a draw: each song fills me with the same urgent desire to commit suicide. There are plenty more songs out there that are vulgar and suicide-inducing, but these three in particular have gnawed at me for a while now and since Therese has been listening to a new soft rock station at work, I've been hearing them a lot, and by a lot, I mean too much. Oh, and that Marc Cohn song, Walking in Memphis sucks really, really, bad, too -- completely vulgar and insulting in every conceivable way.

Have you figured out the common thread with these (so called) songs? What's that you say? They're all swill ladled from the same pretentious bucket? Why yes, you're right, they are indeed, but most of all they suck, they just plain suck. I can't emphasize that enough.

That felt good. I've been holding these feelings in for too long. I feel lighter than air.

Ok, I'm going to go do something else. The post wasn't so bad, right? Not focused, to be sure, and mostly cranky in tone, but c'mon, I've had a long week and my brain is sleepy. And, it was lengthier than I predicted. And, I included a couple of videos, which took some effort, albeit not much. But, effort, still. My grade of the post: C+. Almost went with a B-, but it didn't feel right.

You never know, maybe, with time, this post will be regarded as one my greatest. Maybe academics in tiny coffee houses will pontificate over its finer points. Maybe my future wife will regard this very post as the impetus that compelled her to finally seek me out, after years of fawning over my blog, and fall deeply, deeply in love with me.

Maybe.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I cannot think any songs that I would say "disgust me" but I can think of some that are just not very good. Since I grew up with a lot of people in my family who are so extremely critical all of the time I have taken it as a cue on how not to be. I (for whatever reason) seem to be missing the critical gene but I think I am happier for it. However, when it comes to music perhaps my opinion doesn't mean very much because I am not a musician. (Craig and I seem to keep coming back to that conversation where he tells me that I am still entitled to my opinion just because I don't know music from the inside.) But I don't know… maybe he is just telling me what he thinks I want to hear.... Anyway, these comments are not meant to be argumentative neither are they for the purpose of trying to persuade you over to my way of thinking I just thought it was worth noting that is all.

Kevin said...

I wasn't being being literal, just some hyperbole, but I do have a strong dislike for those songs.Music is subjective and, as far as I'm concerned,if it sounds good to you, then it is good.