Monday, August 10, 2009

And we'll sweep out the ashes in the morning

Tried to get to bed at a reasonable hour last night, but it didn't happen. It was well after midnight before I called it quits and went to sleep. I had been watching The Wire for a good portion of the night and wasn't very tired. I defy anyone to want to hit the hay after watching Stringer Bell get his comeuppance, courtesy of Omar and Brother Mouzone. So, anyway, I'm tired. Boo fucking hoo, right?

The extra hours I was getting at work as a result of Ellen's departure, ended today. At the end of the day, Marcy told me I should go back to my old schedule until business picks up. As far as I can tell, business has picked up and, last time I checked, we're down a person. Ah, but I know not to expect too much from this job. It's great on a few different levels, but it won't sustain me for very long and there is no upward mobility to be seen. Tis a good thing school is on the horizon.
--
Mara and I went back to The City Slicker Cafe for dinner on Friday. On our way there, we ran into Scott, one of my drivers from the Taylor days. It was good to see him. He was the only one who called to wish me well when I was fired.

As we were saying goodbye, Scott looked over my shoulder at Mara and asked her if she was my wife. "No, we're just friends", she said with a grin.

Later, I apologized for not introducing her to Scott. " I thought you had stayed by the road when I went to say hi. Hope it wasn't uncomfortable for you."

"It was fine. You just didn't know how to introduce me", she said.

Actually, I thought, I did know how to introduce you -- as a friend. But the point was taken, nonetheless.
--
Luke Warm and I went to the Fells on Saturday. A beautiful day for it. It was good spending quality time with him, something we hadn't done in a while.

Back in the city, we walked over to Christopher's for lunch, where I asked our cute waitress if wedding cake was on the dessert menu (it wasn't). Had a tasty veggie burger and a frosty Blue Moon. Hit the spot.

After lunch, we walked over to Foley's place, drank screwdrivers, and watched the Red Sox lose to the Yankees. Luke Warm and I found Foley's deep-seated hatred for the Yanks to be endlessly amusing. He said some things about some of their players I'm afraid to share here. Yeah, it was that bad.
--
Almost finished reading Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and am trying to decide whether McMurtry's Folly and Glory, the concluding novel in The Berrybender Narratives, or John Banville's, The Sea will be the next book I read during lunch break. Might be Banville, I think. When I head up to Maine this weekend, I'm bringing Pillars of The Earth, but I want to bring another book. Folly and Glory might be the one. I bet I could finish it in one or two sittings and still have time for Pillars Of The Earth. We'll see, readers, we'll see. I'm sure you're dying to know.
--
Just listened to a good chunk of Antony and The Johnson's new album over at Pitchfork. I can already tell it's better than his last. May have to pick that one up before the trip.

The C's just signed Big Baby today. Great news! If they had let him walk, it would have been to the teams detriment. Me thinks he's the real deal, but we shall see.

Going to have some news for you on the music front in the coming days. I'm all excited. Stay tuned.

Tonight: music, lyrics, Six Feet Under, maybe The Wire, maybe a little PS2 b-ball, plenty of reading. Ciao.

No comments: