Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Strange days have found us and through their strange hours we linger alone

Last Wednesday during my lunch break I read from Whitley Strieber and Jeffrey Kripal's  haunting and mind-bending Super Natural . I came upon a passage about owls and how they're linked to UFO lore. Strieber recounted his own synchronicities involving owls and also that of his coauthor and a colleague of his who, independent of each other, experienced theirs while the book was being written. I'm no stranger to synchronicity. Recently, I had a powerful slew of them when Veronica and I first got together; they gave added meaning to our union. After reading the passage about the owls, I was in for more.

"And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee" - Friedrich Nietzche.

Owl imagery in my life:

1. When Veronica and I went to see The Witch hours after reading the aforementioned passage, I looked up and saw owl light fixtures along the walls of the theater. I'd noticed them before, but it had been a while since I'd been there.

2. The following day I was watching the documentary, Wolf Pack and near the end one of its subjects appeared on screen wearing an owl costume.

3. When I came home from work on Friday, Veronica was wearing a tee shirt with an owl depicted on it. She was aware of the owl synchronicities, but claimed she didn't make the connection when she put on the shirt. I believe her.

4. Late Saturday evening, I remarked to Veronica that my owl streak must have concluded as it was late and we were about to go to bed. Before going to sleep, however, I started watching on my iPad La Jette, a short film I had been interested in seeing for some time. As the film began, this is what flashed on the screen:


I must say this spooked me a bit. 

5. On Sunday, I took a walk to the bakery and on my way there my eye caught an owl statue on someone's porch.

I haven't seen an owl since. I'm a bit relieved but also disappointed. A part of me hoped I could keep the streak going. I can't say I know what it all means but I think the Nietzsche quote might explain some of it. 

No comments: