Monday, December 19, 2011

Wearing out things that nobody wears

I've been an absent father as concerns this blog. There are reasons, but why go into them? Let's just proceed as if my last post was yesterday. Shall we?

It's Monday and I'm tired like I always am on Mondays. This is mostly because Rick, my landlord's brother, spends an hour walking around an hour before I get up. Did I mention that he's directly above me when he does this and that he spends a full hour doing this? I don't know what the story is, but it means I get up an hour early every Monday. Wait, that's not exactly true: I spend most of that hour vainly trying to get back to sleep but always fail because that's when my multitudinous worries and concerns bombard me. So, yeah, fun times.

Spira's Christmas party was this past Saturday and it was.....interesting. I knew right off the bat the night was going to be a wild card when Foley asked if he could hitch a ride. I love Foley - he's a close friend - but you never know what you're going to get with him, especially after he's had some drinks in him.

When I picked him up around seven, it was evident he had started drinking already. I determined this because A) His breath smelled of alcohol B) He questioned where we were several times despite the fact that he's been living in this city a good many years and had taken the same route to Spira's a plethora of times C) He was VERY LOUD in his speech and D) He told me he'd been drinking. I wondered whether he was going to be a disruptive influence at the party.

I'll end the suspense: he was. In the interest of not embarrassing anyone, however, I'm mostly going to leave it at that. Just know that a good chunk of the problem had to do with a girl at the party he was hitting on unsuccessfully who, for reasons kept from Foley, was predisposed to be turned off by him. When he saw me talking with her later, he became fixated on me asking her out. He thought since he had struck out with her and she had been giving me the time of day that she was into me and that I should have asked her out. He carried on about it for the rest of the night. There is quite a bit more to the story, but we'll leave it at that.

Though our ride home was short, I couldn't wait to drop him off. Fortunately, I had Pat and Allie in the car for a bit to provide some kind of buffer. When I dropped them off, Pat mentioned something about giving him a call. Foley loudly told him not to expect a call from me since I never call anyone back. Then, as we made our way to Foley's, he brought up a former friend of mine in a way meant, I believe, to make me feel a little shitty.

Ah, but he's my friend and I love him. He's a sincere, decent person. And a loyal friend. He has more than a few admirable traits, but those others.....well, let's just say I prefer him when he's sober. I'm not always a fan of hanging out with drunks. Usually, it's an obnoxious, messy affair.

So, despite a bunch of bullshit, I had a good time at the party. Spira did a great job with the food and refreshments and there was plenty of good cheer. Plus, my beautiful princess, Missy the dog, was in attendance. She makes everything better.

What else? Well, I've been a prolific songwriter lately. A song a day. A lot of recording. Having a blast.

Been upping the yoga practice. This past week I've been learning how to perform a head stand. Almost there, but I've been crashing to the floor a lot and making a mess doing so. I fell on top of poor Missy D the other day and more recently I knocked over bucket of water and crashed into several potted plants. There's no way to master the headstand gracefully without the assistance of a spotter or a wall (Believe it or not, there's no available wall space in my apartment to utilize).

Christmas is in a few days and I'm not feeling the spirit one bit. What happened? I used to love the holiday so much. Back in the day, I'd be in the spirit in late October. I watched every Christmas special that was aired, no matter how shitty. Now? Ah, let's not get into it.

I'm freezing. I put the heat on earlier, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to go investigate. Afterward, I might do some recording. Maybe I'll watch a movie. Who knows.

No comments: