Monday, December 26, 2011

Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door

The day after Christmas. Mine was quiet, just the way I intended. I didn't do much in the way of being productive except tidy up the house a bit and buy some groceries. A good day to hit the stores with no one around.

My Christmas was probably like yours in that it was a whirlwind of activity that came and went like a typhoon. I went to my parents in the morning and spent the better part of the day with the family. My grandmother was there. She usually spends the early part of the day at my aunt and uncle's house, but this year elected to give my parent's house a try. She wasn't feeling well, though. Her feet were swollen and she had been battling vertigo. She just turned 94 early in the month; this type of thing is par for the course, sadly.

It was good being around family. Everyone understood my financial predicament and weren't visibly upset with the lack of gifts. My sister told me her family is just scraping by and the most important thing is we're all together. Actually, I don't think she said that last part, but whatever. She would have if she was in a Hallmark Christmas movie.

I was sitting by the Christmas tree and spotted an ornament I had made my mother as part of a school project back when I was in fifth or sixth grade. It was star shaped and wrapped in yarn. In the center was a tiny picture of me from my school photo. I held it in my hand, fondly remembering those days when things were simpler and Christmas was a different sort of holiday for me. I'm not particularly nostalgic these days, especially because I've learned it's a trap of the ego and its hypnotic effects can be tough to part with. Still, it was a warm feeling to hold that ornament and remember.

My nephew Patrick stayed close by my side the entire day. I was touched. He's five and is just beginning to assert himself. Each gift he opened was presented to me for inspection. He got some good ones. I envied his Batman shampoo and bucket of plastic pirates.

Around three, we went to my grandmother's house, where we met up with my cousins and aunt and uncle. Children everywhere. Man, if it were just adults, it would still be worthwhile, but if there ever was a holiday for kids, Christmas is it. Yeah, I know about Halloween, but that's utterly satanic.

My grandmother seemed a bit out of it, but professed to feeling much better. I wasn't so sure. My nieces Kiley and Shannon brought their keyboard with them and gave a little recital of Christmas songs. I requested a performance of Joni Mitchell's Court & Spark but it fell on deaf ears. I had to wonder if they even knew who Joni Mitchell was. Ah, those whippersnappers don't know what good music is, with their Bieber's and Jonas Brothers.


Leading up to Christmas, my sleep had been poor. I came home last night tired as shit, but I stayed up late anyway, because that's what I do. I watched Robert Zemekis' (sp?) version of A Christmas Carola and was very impressed. Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Robin Wright Penn, Bob Hoskins, and Tim Roth provided the voices. What a great piece of work. Visually stunning, well acted, the works. I give it two out ten stars. Nah, I'm fooling you: I give it four out of ten stars. Anyway, it's streaming on Netflix if you're interested.

I stopped by Spira's on Christmas eve for a bit. I helped her make baklava and then we watched The Vice Guide To North Korean Prison Camps. You know, holiday fare. Anyway, it was a great episode. She gave me a rockin' french press as a Christmas gift. I used it this morning and love it. So why did I toss it in the trash? Hmm...

While I didn't have much to give people for Christmas, I did make stuff like music, comics, food. All of this, especially the music was worked on constantly all the way up to when I headed over to Spira's. Today was the first day in a while where I wasn't knee deep in some project. I'm keenly aware that other people did much more than I did, but everything is relative, so get off my case. Geesh!

A short work week. The New Year approaches. I don't have anything planned for New Year's Eve yet, but I'm not too worried. Something will come up. Or not. Either way, it's a short work week.

Ok, off to do other things. I may watch a movie. We'll see. Maybe I'll watch National Geographic's show on Lord of The Rings or a Woody Allen flick. Or maybe I'll do some reading. I know for a fact I'll be eating from the tin of cookies my sister made me. I ate an embarrassing amount of them last night. May as well seal my doom and polish off the rest tonight. They're so fucking good! Forgive me father....

No comments: