Monday, May 17, 2010

I hope that I don't fall in love you

A feeling of unease stuck to me all day, it's source a stew of multiple worries, fears, and frustrations. Nevertheless, today wasn't a bad day. The weather was glorious, work went rather well, I went for a run. I'll get past the unease.
-
Saturday night, I hung out with Spira at her place. We talked a bit, then took Missy out for a long walk in the park, where we listened intently to the frogs chirping in the little pond by the path. I brought along the toy megaphone Spira had bought after seeing one of her students with one and had fun using the pitch-shift function. Missy enjoyed it more than I did, though. Every time I spoke into the toy, Missy would wag her tail and come over to me. I was her Pied Piper.

The initial plan that night was to hang out with Mara. She had called earlier in the day asking what I was up to that evening. We made plans to hang out. She called me later on and told me she and Jessica were going to order in some food and then Jessica and a friend were going to a cocktail party. "So I'll be free when they leave, probably around eight thirty or so", she said.

She called me back in a couple of hours and told me that even though she hadn't been invited to the cocktail party Jessica was going to, if Jessica got the okay from the host, she'd probably end up going.

"Is that okay?"

"Sure", I replied. I meant it - she's been trying to get out more and meet new people, particularly guys, and she should seize the opportunities when they arise. I'm not in the business of holding her back. Still, I couldn't help adding, "So, unless something better comes along, and it might, we'll be hanging out later".

I suppose that may have been unfair of me to say, but it was the truth. Look, it doesn't stroke the ego when you get bumped, even when you understand the logic of it. I should note that Mara had mentioned to me early on that it was possible she could have a chance to attend the party, so she didn't exactly break plans with me, she just found something she'd rather do. Fine. I wasn't distraught; more than anything, and I told her so, I wanted her to cement her plans soon so I could make plans of my own before it became too late. And, yes, I was a little pissed, but I bet she would have been, too, if I'd done the same to her. Should I elect to engage in a little tit for tat, I'll have my chance at vengeance. Don't worry, the worst I'll probably do on that front is pull her hair. Worked on my sister, growing up.
-
I'm going to see Rufus Wainwright at the Boston Opera House in August. I had been aware that tickets were on sale, but never got around to doing anything about it. The other day, Spira sent me an email with an attached notification from Ticketmaster that tickets were on sale. I figured she was just letting me know he was playing. Talking with Janelle about the upcoming show, I found out she was going with Spira and Pam. "Damn, I missed out!" , I said.

"She got one for you, too."

Come to find out, Spira did a heroic thing and got me a ticket, even when I didn't respond to the email about the show. Evidently, I didn't read it carefully because in it she asked if I was interested in going, and if I was, she'd purchase the tickets. She told me later that she got me a ticket because she knew I'd forget to do anything about it. I don't know if that's exactly true or not, but Spira gets a virtual high five for this one. And, as an added bonus, my ticket is on her as a birthday present. High five!

I'm really excited about this show. I'm smitten with the new album and according to Rufus, this is going to be his most intimate, scaled down, tour yet. Awww, yeahhhh!
-
Off to other things. Just finished watching The Machinist (heavy stuff), will work on some music, and maybe, just maybe I'll finish Drood, but I don't think so. I'm close, but not that close.

Sayonara, bitches.

No comments: